Premed 101 Forums

Western interview invites/regrets 2020

Time Stamp: 10:04

Invite/reject: Invite

IP/OOP: OOP

SWOMEN (Y/N): No

2YGPA: 3.87

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/132/130/130 

Essays (X/8): 8/8- I used separate experiences for all 8. Wrote them out superrr last minute! But used little stories to start some of them (that were less interesting by themselves!). Tried hard to explicitly address all the questions/points that they'd mentioned for each prompt though.

Time Stamp: Jan 30 @ 1006

Invite/reject: invite!!!

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): Y

2YGPA: 3.93ish

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 130/129/128/130

Essays (X/8):  8/8

spent a long time on essays, didn't re-use entries....also didn't write "about you" essay...glad that didn't make or break it!

Time Stamp: 10:11am

Invite/reject: invite (If anyone is in London/at Western and wants to practice panel or MMI, shoot me a msg!) 

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): No 

2YGPA: 3.97

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 131/129/132/130 (lol... I rewrote my MCAT cuz I had 127 cars the first time, can't believe they lowered it!) 

Essays (X/8):  I wrote 5 originally . Then the day before OMSAS was due I found out that you should write 8, so I last-minute wrote 3 more. My "About You" was really personal and genuine. (I'm sorry to see a lot of people with stats similar to me rejected! :( My ECs aren't that strong - I was rejected from UBC OOP and UOttawa. I'm a pretty good writer and I did a decent job talking about what I learned from my ECs and how they relate to medicine - I feel like that was what saved me). 

19 minutes ago, conditional knockout said:

Time Stamp: 10:33 AM

Invite/reject: Reject

SWOMEN (Y/N): N

2YGPA: 3.985

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 129,126,129 Missed that CARS cutoff by 1 point..., even though I've gotten 127 and 128 on my practice tests numerous times :((

Essays (X/8): 7/8

Did your email specify that you missed the cutoff and that was the reason for rejection?

2 minutes ago, Moonlight2 said:

Does anyone know how many interview invites Schulich sends out each year and what percentage get admitted? (I believe their class size is 171?)

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/docs/AdmissionsStatistics_Medicine_Classof2023.pdf

Last year 454 were invited for interviews and our class size is 171! Not sure how the ACCESS pathway might change things, or if it will at all. Post-interview acceptance is higher for SWOMEN but the most updated statistics that specify are a few years old now...

congrats for those with interviews - more to come I am sure

we will try to keep discussion to other threads to keep this one clean (the tradition continues) - things can change every year but recently it has been 171 and usually roughly 450 interviews. Percentage that gets admitted is complicated by SWOMEN vs NONSWOMEN but that can be gone over in the other threads :)  

Time Stamp:  10:35am

2YGPA: 3.85

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 129/128/129/130

Essays (X/8):  8/8

From the wording of my rejection email, it sounds like by applying for access pathway it put me in a different pool of applicants. That was a mistake on my part, will improve on that next year. 

congrats to those who got it. 

Time Stamp: Jan 30 10:46am EST

Invite/reject: fat reject

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): No

2YGPA: 3.96

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 131/127/130/131

Essays (X/8):  I wrote these the night before using some of my other med school essays a templates and using those themes... Having been rejected from DAL, Northern and Uottawa I guess my ABS and essay writing is no good apparently.

I was really hoping that if I could make the CARS cutoff it would secure an interview without any worries thanks to my GPA and MCAT. Apparently not... Been rejected from all the other schools in Ontario (waiting to hear from Queens and UofT) and got a reject from DAL. Evidently the people screening for interviews don't like me. Pretty disheartening day

2YGPA: 3.81

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 130/127/130/131

Essays (X/8): 8/8

I'm shocked by the reduction in the CARS cutoff. I applied and fully expected to get rejected. However, knowing that I was rejected based on my ECs, which I have forever considered the strongest part of my application, makes this sting so much more. Guess I'll need to re-evaluate. After applying for 4 years in a row, I don't know what to do anymore. This process is very close to succeeding at weeding me out of applying to Canadian schools altogether.

Time Stamp: 10:46 am

Invite/reject: R

SWOMEN (Y/N): Yes... rip lol

2YGPA: 4.00

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 132/128/132/132

Essays (8/8): Wrote all 8 + the About you section, spent a good two weeks perfecting it, friends in Schulich said it was heartfelt. If I don't get in this year, I will find ways to redo my essays I guess lol

I wanted to go to UWO because London is my hometown... I guess I gotta be thankful for the interviews I do have LOL. Good luck to those who got an invite to Schulich!