Premed 101 Forums

Western interview invites/regrets 2020

18 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

Is anyone else still waiting? I have checked all my mail folders but still nothing :( They're not manning the phone either.

if the system still runs the usual way then calling them won't really help - the emails are pulled into automatic mail out system that competes with other university mail out etc - things can take longer than you expect at time but it is just running in the background. Only if nothing arrives by a rather late point in the day would there be concern that there is a system error. 

Time Stamp: 11:03

Invite/reject: INVITE!!! 

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): No

2YGPA: 3.98

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO): 130/128/131

Essays (X/8): 6/8 -  I didn't write an About You because I thought it was for academic explanations and things like that. It really confused me. I think my essays were choppy and didn't flow too well but they had great content.

Congrats to those who were invited! For those who weren't, Western is missing out on an excellent candidate, don't sweat it!

Time Stamp: 10:07am

Invite/reject: Invite!!

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): N

2YGPA: 3.73 (I know- I'm shocked I got an interview!!)

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO): 129/128/129

Essays: (7/8) (and repeated topics a couple times) - talked about my research (lots), part time jobs, orientation leader,  a couple short club things (no clinical experience or long term volunteering really), no interviews elsewhere yet (only waiting on Queen's). Also wrote fairly compelling About Me/Gaps in your application essays (imo)

Honestly only made an account to give the other underdogs hope!!

Time Stamp: 10:18 (MD), 10:25 (MD/PhD)

Invite/reject: INVITEEE!!!

SWOMEN (Y/N): N

2YGPA: 3.99

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 128/127/127

Essays (X/8):  (8/8) Didn't write the 'about me' essay. I tried to include a variety of experiences for the essays (research, extracurriculars, volunteering, jobs) but wrote them very last minute, so I wasn't expecting much!

Time Stamp: 10:08 am

Invite/Reject: Invite!

IP/OOP: OOP

2YGPA: 3.99

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO): 131/128/130

Essays (X/8):  (8/8) Spent a lot of time on them, and had them looked over by a few people. I felt that my actual experiences weren't very "impressive" by the standards set on this forum, but I tried my hardest to express what I learned from them. The fact that I've been invited suggests, nicely, that Western cares about what applicants learn from their experiences, instead of just the title etc. Pleasantly surprised by the outcome! Good luck to everyone!

Time Stamp: 10:03 AM

Invite/reject: INVITE!!! SOO EXCITED!!!

2YGPA: 3.82

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 127/129/128/128

Essays (X/8): 8/8, no About you section, repeated 1 activity once. Worked on them for a few weeks and edited them a lot. EC's are pretty average, but I think I wrote them well. I also tried to be very specific and give concrete examples of the things I learned in each activity rather than just stating it and moving on to how it would be applicable to medicine. 

Congrats to everyone else who received an interview :) 

Time Stamp: 8:55 am (MT)

Invite/reject: Rejection

2YGPA: 3.98

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 129/128/129/130 

Essays (X/8):  I wrote my 8 essays last minute and didn't write an additional essay for the "about you" section. I felt like my 8 essays were heartfelt and I wrote about ECs that meant a lot to me, but they definitely needed some extra polishing.

I was kind of expecting the R, it's a shame since UWO seems like a wonderful school. Best of luck to those that are interviewing this year!

29 minutes ago, Anonymous321 said:

Did they specifically mention that you did not meet the academic criteria in the email from Western? 

Yeah they just stated that in the email. But I emailed them already. Turns out, my previous undergrad degree that I did overseas with a cGPA of 4.0 wasn't considered at all since it was 3-year (I was on track to enter a fourth Honours year but couldn't afford to - I assumed my best years (with proper course loads and levels) here would have satisfied their GPA requirement already). And then my second degree (honours) right now just doesn't satisfy the level requirement, which I knew already. Just a bit shocked they completely disregarded my first undergrad is all. Oh well counting Queen's and UofT now! 

Time Stamp: 10:30
Invite/reject: Invite
2YGPA: 3.99
MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 127/127/132/132
Essays (X/8): 8/8 - all good stuff I was proud of. Still, I pulled an all-nighter on deadline day to get them done because I figured my CARS would be right on the cutline (had not gotten my score back yet). Grateful!

Time Stamp: 10:04am ET

Invite/reject: Invite

2YGPA: 3.89

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 130/129/130/130

Essays (X/8):  8/8. I interviewed last year so I only changed 1 essay and just edited/refined the rest. I made sure to explicitly follow their instructions for writing them while still remaining genuine and interesting. I filled out the "about me" section pretty quickly (didn't fill it in last year) about some challenges I experienced in the last few years. 

Hopefully I learned enough from last year's interview (got normal waitlisted) that I can do a better job this time and get an offer. Good luck all!

Time Stamp: 8:06am MT

Invite/reject: invite! :)

IP/OOP: OOP

2YGPA: 3.96 Alberta

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO/PSYCH): 130/132/130/129

Essays (X/8): 8/8 (assuming this means I wrote 8 possible essays). I followed their structure but made my writing more story-like to keep them interested. Very excited to come, although flights are at least $500 for this 45-minute interview! lol. Did not fill out optional challenges section and thanked them for their time.

Time Stamp: 8:05 a.m. 

Invite/reject: Invite!!!!!!!! My first medical school invite after several application cycles. Still haven't processed it fully. :D

IP/OOP: OOP 

2YGPA: 3.82

MCAT (CHEM/CARS/BIO): 128/129/127

Essays (X/8):  8/8 - I felt like these were my strong point. I was able to talk about a different volunteer/work experience for each essay. 

To those who were rejected: this is my first medical school interview invite after 6 years of undergrad, 3 years away from school, 4 MCAT re-writes and 3 application cycles. I'm almost 27 years old and most of my friends are already in their chosen careers. This is my first time applying to Western. I've seen many of my friends graduate from medical school, and felt like I didn't have another application cycle or MCAT re-write in me. I've lost hope many...many times. I wrote the MCAT 4 times and on my 4th time, I finally went from a 125 in CARS to a 129. I have doubted myself and questioned whether I have what it takes to get into medical school. Seeing the rejection e-mails takes a toll and I have been there. Perseverance is so important. Keep going. You never know what will happen. I know I've only received an invite to an interview at this point, but I am so so grateful and happy. :)  If I can get to this point, so can you. Good luck everyone.