Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge 2020 - Dental School

• 1 month later...

Hey! I'm planning on applying to UCC, and debating whether its worth it or not to apply to Trinity as well. I have a 3.94 GPA and decently strong ECs. I only really want to go to Ireland if I get into the 4-year program, but I'm nervous about narrowing my options. I'm also applying to Canadian dental schools (and had an interview at UofT this past year) and feel as though I have a pretty good chance, so I'm not sure if I should bother applying to Trinity.

Only issue with UCC is that I haven't taken anatomy specifically, but apparently if you've taken a combination of other courses it can count for anatomy? Has anyone gotten into the 4-year program without the exact prerequisites?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, aoaks said:

Hey! I'm planning on applying to UCC, and debating whether its worth it or not to apply to Trinity as well. I have a 3.94 GPA and decently strong ECs. I only really want to go to Ireland if I get into the 4-year program, but I'm nervous about narrowing my options. I'm also applying to Canadian dental schools (and had an interview at UofT this past year) and feel as though I have a pretty good chance, so I'm not sure if I should bother applying to Trinity.

Only issue with UCC is that I haven't taken anatomy specifically, but apparently if you've taken a combination of other courses it can count for anatomy? Has anyone gotten into the 4-year program without the exact prerequisites?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Hey I am a GED (graduate entry dentistry) student at UCC and when I got accepted into Ireland for the 4 year program, Trinity did not consider me because UCC sent me an offer. I believe that if you receive an offer from UCC then Trinity won't send you an offer. However, if UCC does not send you an offer, then applying to Trinity may be a good back up option (they only have a 5 year program). I do know that if you haven't taken anatomy that may be an issue in getting accepted into the 4 year program but maybe try contacting Atlantic Bridge or UCC to see if there are alternatives? I know there are individuals who are in the 5 year program applying to be exempt from courses that they took in undergrad so that is a possible situation as well if you have overlapping courses in the 5 year program, but you need to submit undergrad course outlines after getting accepted. Hope this helps.

16 minutes ago, Tooths said:

Hey I am a GED (graduate entry dentistry) student at UCC and when I got accepted into Ireland for the 4 year program, Trinity did not consider me because UCC sent me an offer. I believe that if you receive an offer from UCC then Trinity won't send you an offer. However, if UCC does not send you an offer, then applying to Trinity may be a good back up option (they only have a 5 year program). I do know that if you haven't taken anatomy that may be an issue in getting accepted into the 4 year program but maybe try contacting Atlantic Bridge or UCC to see if there are alternatives? I know there are individuals who are in the 5 year program applying to be exempt from courses that they took in undergrad so that is a possible situation as well if you have overlapping courses in the 5 year program, but you need to submit undergrad course outlines after getting accepted. Hope this helps.

Hey, do you mind sharing some of your stats? I heard that Ireland relies heavily on the rolling admission process , so I'm also wondering if applying early means a guaranteed spot ?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For anyone who applied to the Ireland schools, do you mind sharing ur GPA stats?? I am in my last yr and my GPA is low (below 3.0) however my last 2 yrs is 4.0. I just wanted to know if they only accept high GPAs. I know they take a hollistic approach, so if anyone got accepted with a low GPA, I would love to hear your process!

2 hours ago, WannabeDentist said:

For anyone who applied to the Ireland schools, do you mind sharing ur GPA stats?? I am in my last yr and my GPA is low (below 3.0) however my last 2 yrs is 4.0. I just wanted to know if they only accept high GPAs. I know they take a hollistic approach, so if anyone got accepted with a low GPA, I would love to hear your process!

Nobody knows how they evaluate and convert Canadian GPA into European system. I can confirm that some of the applicants that are accepted into 4 year program have MSc under their belt, but at the same time I have come across students who didn't. They also do prefer a very "science" based degree and you need quite a few health science courses such as anatomy, physiology etc to be accepted into their 4 year program. You seem to have an upward GPA trend which may work in your favour. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 2:07 PM, Toothguy12345 said:

Hey Guys I am planning on applying next year but I wanted to run my "CV" by you guys to see what my chances are. **Constructive criticism welcomed**

What do you guys think of my chances of getting in:

- Done University

- Major: Neuroscience, Minor: Spanish

- 4 years of Academic Neuroscience research, some multi-university/ national cooperative projects

- TA for spanish

- Research assistant job for Neuroscience project

- GPA: 3.29

- International Medical outreach volunteer experienceÂ

- Operation smile ambassador for my university

I know my GPA is killing me but I wanted to know your honest opinion on the chances I would have weighing in my other traits. my plan for this year is to take open study courses to increase my GPA and see if any of my local doctors/dentists are doing any research projects I can jump on to

Hi, out of curiosity, did you get in? I also have a low GPA and I'm applying for the next cycle.

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, ariman1020 said:

Hey guys, I just got accepted to the 4 year at UCC! I was wondering if anyone had an answer to a question I had. I heard from someone that if you go to Ireland you are not able to specialize further when returning to Canada. I was been trying to find an answer to this but haven't found much. Any info you guys know I would appreciate so much to hear!!! 

Hey congratulations! Do you mind sharing what your stats were like and what was your strategy when writing the personal statement? It would really help us out.