Premed 101 Forums

Correlation between IP status verification and pre-Interview-Rejection or invite - survey

Unstoppable

This thread is to track the correlation between IP status verification and pre-Interview Rejection or invite. I just noticed an update on their website, that seems new to me as I never saw it before, stating that Casper could be used to pre-screen ((https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). I hope such a major change was mentioned when Casper was introduced, or made public in a more obvious way so that applicants can be aware of it going into the application cycle. This survey should help us determine if Casper, instead of academics, was used to pre-screen this year.

Please copy the following and enter your info.

Invite/Reject:

IP status verification and date if applicable: 

Casper test date: 

How did you feel about Casper this year?:

Invite/reject last year if applicable:

How did you rank in Casper last year if applicable (Top 100, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800+):

I'll start

Invite/Reject: Reject

IP status verification and date if applicable: Not verified

Casper test date: October 10, 2019

How did you feel about Casper this year?: Not great

Invite/reject last year if applicable: Invite

How did you rank in Casper last year if applicable (Top 100, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800+): 301-500

11 minutes ago, innocentius said:

Invite/Reject: Rejected

IP status verification and date if applicable:  Not verified, box blank on Minerva. The rejection e-mail mentions the QC Resident pool.

Casper test date: Last one they would accept, Oct 21, 2019?

Thank you. Can you please update your post? I have added 3 more prompts that will help with the survey. Thanks

16 minutes ago, mcgillmdbd said:

How do you know if your IP status has not been verified? 

Also, I am confused because in their decision email they start by saying your application.... under the Quebec resident (Univ. Level) category etc. Out of curiosity, did your decision email contain any such wording? 

It says "IP status verified" on Minerva or something like that, and states a date that the verification was done as well as the initials of the staff that verified the candidate's IP status.

My decision email contained same wordings. This survey is to track the correlation between the IP status verification on Minerva and rejection or invite.

23 minutes ago, Unstoppable said:

It says "IP status verified" on Minerva or something like that, and states a date that the verification was done as well as the initials of the staff that verified the candidate's IP status.

My decision email contained same wordings. This survey is to track the correlation between the IP status verification on Minerva and rejection or invite.

Thank you for explaining. I’m really sorry to hear about what happened, and I hope it gets cleared up soon. Thank you for putting this survey together 

Invite/Reject: R

IP status verification and date if applicable:  Did not receive verification. Although rejection email stated I was IP

Casper test date: Oct 20 I think? It was the last date accepted

How did you feel about Casper this year?: I type very slow, so was only able to answer the first question. I feel like I answered the first question well. But the rest were blank, so overall was very poor

Invite/reject last year if applicable:first time applicant

How did you rank in Casper last year if applicable (Top 100, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800+): N/A

IP status verification and date if applicable:  Status verified on minerva

Casper test date: Oct 27 (french) last date accepted.

How did you feel about Casper this year?: Felt good overall although we never really know, didn't type as much as last year.

Invite/reject last year if applicable: invite last year. 

How did you rank in Casper last year if applicable (Top 100, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800+): Didn't ask for my ranking. 

Invite/Reject: R

IP status verification and date if applicable: QC Residency Verified RD Dec 03, 2019

Casper test date: Oct 20, 2019 (English)

How did you feel about Casper this year?: It was ok. Used only free resources. Might be good to invest in prep next cycle.   

Invite/reject last year if applicable: N/A

How did you rank in Casper last year if applicable (Top 100, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800+): N/A

On 1/25/2020 at 10:55 PM, Unstoppable said:

This thread is to track the correlation between IP status verification and pre-Interview Rejection or invite. I just noticed an update on their website, that seems new to me as I never saw it before, stating that Casper could be used to pre-screen ((https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). I hope such a major change was mentioned when Casper was introduced, or made public in a more obvious way so that applicants can be aware of it going into the application cycle. This survey should help us determine if Casper, instead of academics, was used to pre-screen this year.

I believe this information is online since 2018, unless I am wrong.

See here :  https://web.archive.org/web/20180509080841/http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/selection-process

37 minutes ago, HoopDreams said:

I believe this information is online since 2018, unless I am wrong.

See here :  https://web.archive.org/web/20180509080841/http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/selection-process

Your link states that academics is used to pre-screen. What I am referring to as new is Casper being used to prescreen (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process). Thoughts?

Hi,

I have just noticed that as well. this wouldn't make sense though. it says "Based on the Academic Evaluation or CASPer". but why keep the chart below saying that it count for 20% only (look at the pie chart). I think it might be just a typo. (it happens more often than we think).

it also wouldn't make sense to evaluate a person on the Casper only (since he/she is going through the MMI as well which is pretty much a Casper test without the a keyboard).

I think somebody might have messed up something. also the OOP pool seems oddly larger than usual (600 -700). this time it's 922. and the average GPA is usually high for the OOP pool but this time it's 3.82. also I have neved received a verification email for my QC and My Minerva show no
QC verification slot like last year. though I must say that I have seen than my rejection email says that I am in the Quebec Pool (also minerva says

Admit Type: Quebec Univ (incl. McGill)

so who knows? 

what frustrate me is that people are taking us seriously when requesting a reconsideration. I ranked 27th last year pre-interview. what happened? the applicant became supers competitive all of the sudden, so much competitive than I dropped by 280 .... it just doesn't make sense for me. ( I have submitted the exact same documents as last year. part from updating my grades and adding a publication to my CV).

update:

I've just received a answer for my request of reconsideration. my ranking went from 27th last year to not even invited this year (which means a 10 fold change or more).

they say that no error has been made. which means 2 things, either the clerks who are managing these requests don't care about this. or there is a major change in the assessment process that we are not aware of (most likely Casper test).

good luck guy. I am tired of applying. good luck guys. I will be still answering for the next couple of weeks.

so feel free to ask me

IP status verification and date if applicable: Verified on Nov 27

Casper test date: October 20, 2019

How did you feel about Casper this year?: Terrible, too many unanswered questions

Invite/reject last year if applicable: Reject pre-interview

How did you rank in Casper last year if applicable (Top 100, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800+): 600+

For what it's worth, I have come to believe that the ranking for the CVs is an extremely subjective component... In my last 2 applications, my CV ranked from the 400s (in 2017) to mid 600s (in 2018), this is despite submitting basically the same CV in 2018 (if anything, the 2018 version was better given it had a little bit more research). In contrast, my academic ranking has remained fairly stable (2017: 270ish, 2018: 250ish) and unfortunately my casper too lol (2017: nearly 700, 2018: 600ish).

While I feel for those who ranked well in previous years but didn't get an invite this year, it is not unheard of. I've seen this played out by posters in previous years, people I know in real life as well. The applicant pool and the people who evaluate your CV change every year...still sucks for sure. In my opinion, I do think the major change of not having a category for NTPs increased the competitiveness this cycle for the university category especially as it pertains to rankings in the CV section. Anywho, just gotta wait for the rankings to drop in a couple months and maybe some knowledge nuggets at next year's information sessions...

7 hours ago, Med201920 said:

update:

I've just received a answer for my request of reconsideration. my ranking went from 27th last year to not even invited this year (which means a 10 fold change or more).

they say that no error has been made. which means 2 things, either the clerks who are managing these requests don't care about this. or there is a major change in the assessment process that we are not aware of (most likely Casper test).

good luck guy. I am tired of applying. good luck guys. I will be still answering for the next couple of weeks.

so feel free to ask me

I am sorry that you did not receive an invite this year. Unfortunately, I do not think that the inner workings of the admission process are within the public realm but most processes for such competitive programs have a review board and a review of the whole process. I can attest to this review process as it was a topic discussed during my UG and involvement in university student politics. 

That being said, might I suggest not giving up? The initial process of admission is hard and I know how difficult rejection can be especially so close to the event. Given the general academic requirements and the potential for former NTP candidates to qualify to the MDCM path, it might explain why certain individuals with lower GPAs were invited. The casper is a weird test and the one this year seemed awfully easy compared to last year. I always feel a bit suspicious when something is too easy and that might have been the case for some. Additionally, people with certain work or educational backgrounds may be better prepared for CV and Casper which account for nearly a third of the process.

Don`t give up, take some time to live your emotions and complete this bereavement process. Once that is completed, review your goals. This is the time to grieve for lack of a better term and once that process is done, you will be in a much better position to determine your course of action. 

Good luck and don`t lose hope. I know my first attempt and rejection was hard but the NTP application last year served as a real growing experience. 

Feel free to message me if you would like to discuss further.