Premed 101 Forums

2020 UCalgary Interview Invites/Regrets

Invites just got sent out! I'll get it started.

TIME STAMP: 2:56pm MST
Interview Date: TBD
Result: Invite
wGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 127 CARS
ECs: Fairly good I think. 1300+ hours research, 1500+ hours of volunteering w/ non-profits like Canadian Blood Services. Held a part-time job during university. Some international internship experience. No publications but several conference presentations (including one national and one international conference). Some other interesting experiences like working with alzheimers/parkinsons patients at long-term care facilities etc.
Year: 4th year Undergrad
Geography : IP 

TIME STAMP: 2:56pm 
Result: Invite!
MCAT: 128 CARS; 516
ECs: Multiple jobs in research, teaching and advocacy (all short term), long-term volunteering/ ECs working closely with diverse vulnerable populations, some typical activities like being an exec in multiple clubs/ committees.
Year: Masters

1 minute ago, letsgetthisbread said:

TIME STAMP: 3:13 PM MT
Result: Reject
MCAT: 128 CARS (516 total)
ECs: I expected they were below average, but still thought I did a good job writing about them. Volunteering, some research, employment, unique hobbies, etc. 

Bummer :(

This is making me question my ECs now. You have good numerical stats, so it must be that. 

Result: Invite :)
wGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 128 CARS
ECs: I included a couple of my volunteer roles that meant the world to me (community volunteer with vulnerable populations, hospital volunteering for 5+ years, a couple clubs that I enjoy) but I mostly focused on writing about specific life experiences I have had and how those have shaped me. I think it made a big difference. 
Year: MSc

Very excited since I didn't get an interview last year. 

TIME STAMP: 2:08pm EST
Interview Date: N/A
GPA: 3.90 (no wGPA)
MCAT: 516, 128 CARS
ECs: 1+ year medical office assistant, 3+ years cancer research with two pending pubs, VP for 2 university clubs, 2 personal start-up businesses, average awards (just undergraduate academic awards), multiple academic tutor/mentor experiences
Year: 2 years out of Undergrad
Geography : OOP but currently working in Calgary (4th try applying but 1st interview !)

TIME STAMP: 2:08pm EST 
GPA: 3.93 
MCAT: 128 CARS
ECs: bunch of employment, no crazy awards, no publications. In the Top 10, I focused on life experiences that have shaped me as a person, and significant ECs from my undergrad that highlighted teamwork, advocacy, leadership, etc.
Year: graduated in spring 2019 
Geography : OOP 

Super grateful for this opportunity and excited to see you all there!

TIME STAMP: 2:30pm
Result: Invite!!!
GPA: 3.7
MCAT: 129 CARS
ECs: Long standing commitment to patient/client advocacy, long history of volunteer work with multiple vulnerable populations, current job in health care, multiple publications/research awards, top 10s mostly focused on personal experiences that have shaped my world view (including mistakes/lessons learned!) 
Year: Non-trad applicant - undergrad completed years ago, post-grad professional degree completed a few years back

TIME STAMP: 2:57pm MST 
Result: INVITE!!!
GPA: 4.00 
MCAT: 126 CARS (There is hope for those with low CARS like me!)
ECs: A few summer research positions, Some posters and oral presentations at conferences, No Publications, lots of awards, scholarships and grants, a few mentorship roles, Residence Advisor, Clinical research experience and lots of patient interaction. In my top 10 I explained how they have impacted my life and encouraged me to take on different roles to find what really interests me and really tried to show the ones that I was passionate about.
Year: 4th Year undergrad 
Geography : IP (but currently studying in Ontario)

Beyond excited for this opportunity and stoked to see you all there! 

And to everyone else, I know how every rejection kicks you down, but remember to stay motivated because eventually some good news will come your way. 

(4 rejections this cycle and this is my first interview!) 

TIME STAMP: 2:57 pm MST
GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 129 CARS, 525 total
ECs: Mostly employment with some volunteering and travel. 1 first-author publication & presentation. A few personal life experiences.
Year: UG Completed

Looking forward to meeting some of you there! Good luck everyone.

TIME STAMP: This afternoon
wGPA: Near a 4.0
MCAT: 130 CARS
ECs: Varied and not typical of a "premed". Mainly work with some low hour ECs. A minuscule amount of research. Of note, almost all of these are in the last 2 years. You don't need to be older or a EC superstar since HS to get an invite. 

I'm excited, Calgary is a top choice for me! 

In the email, it says that we can complete a confidentiality agreement now to save time on Friday. Does anyone know what this is? When I click the Interview tab, I just have to "accept" their terms and it takes me straight to the interview scheduler (obviously its not open now). Is there some other form I have to fill out?

Thanks, and congrats to everyone! 

19 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

In the email, it says that we can complete a confidentiality agreement now to save time on Friday. Does anyone know what this is? When I click the Interview tab, I just have to "accept" their terms and it takes me straight to the interview scheduler (obviously its not open now). Is there some other form I have to fill out?

Thanks, and congrats to everyone! 

I think it's just the checkbox that's there under the interview tab.