Premed 101 Forums

U Alberta 2020 Invites/Regrets

Just now, MedHopeful98 said:

When are the invites/rejections coming out??!! The school hasn't announced anything in a while. Has anyone called in to ask? Every time I call it goes to voicemail.

As per HoffmanPharm, they spoke with someone in person at admissions and they stated the interview invites should be out by Feb 5th. Hopefully this is the case! 

29 minutes ago, dooogs said:

Is it just an e-mail? Or does it show up on bear tracks/secondary? anywhere else?

I'm assuming it will be primarily through email. Some status in bear tracks might change (I'm struggling to find info on the UAlberta site)...but I feel confident saying email since that's how the majority of contact has been in the past. Hopefully today is the day!

9 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

Question, if we already sent in a transcript containing our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year grades, were we also supposed to send in an updated transcript containing our 4th year, first semester grades?

Yes—if you were not attending the U of A. If you were, they should have accessed those grades automatically. Same thing for any classes taken through Athabasca. You can check the status of transcripts and grades through bear tracks. 

If you're attending a different institution, bear tracks states that "February 1: If you are currently attending a postsecondary institution, we require your Fall Term grades and Winter Term course registration by this date."

Hope that helps!

Just now, coffeeandmed said:

Yes—if you were not attending the U of A. If you were, they should have accessed those grades automatically. Same thing for any classes taken through Athabasca. You can check the status of transcripts and grades through bear tracks. 

If you're attending a different institution, bear tracks states that "February 1: If you are currently attending a postsecondary institution, we require your Fall Term grades and Winter Term course registration by this date."

Hope that helps!

Welp I did not do that.... refer to my name to see how I'm feeling :)

Ok everyone I called... there's good news and bad news... Good news: The fact that I didn't send in my updated transcript doesn't matter, and my file still underwent review! For others, if your cGPA is posted on your account you are good, that means they have all the necessary transcript info. Bad news: it doesn't seem like invites are coming out today aha. I was told invites will be sent to our UofA email by Friday. But it was strongly suggested that we, "start checking our UofA emails tomorrow".....so make of that what you will

4 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

Ok everyone I called... there's good news and bad news... Good news: The fact that I didn't send in my updated transcript doesn't matter, and my file still underwent review! For others, if your cGPA is posted on your account you are good, that means they have all the necessary transcript info. Bad news: it doesn't seem like invites are coming out today aha. I was told invites will be sent to our UofA email by Friday. But it was strongly suggested that we, "start checking our UofA emails tomorrow".....so make of that what you will

Yay! I'm glad you called and everything is okay. Thanks for the update :)

19 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

Omg I had the same issue with transcripts haha. Thanks for the info though!

Result: invite! :) 
GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 130/132/130/129 (521)
Current Degree: 4th year science
Geography (IP/OOP): IP
Extracurricular Activities: 15 years with youth organization, teaching assistant, research but no pubs, many other miscellaneous
CASPer: likely well based on invite to other schools

Interview Invite or Regrets: Invite
GPA: 3.84
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 519
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSC 2020
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Hospital volunteering, lab volunteer, volunteer trip to South America, high performance sports, volunteer roles within sports, interests (scuba diving, traveling) etc. 

Result: INVITE

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: not fabulous, but obviously good enough!

Current Degree: 4th year undergrad

Geography: IP

Extra-curricular: long-term volunteering, consistent work since high school, food bank program development, care for family members with mental illness, multiple research opportunities (no publications), humanitarian trip, language exchange...

CASPer: felt fine!