Premed 101 Forums

U Alberta 2020 Invites/Regrets

Result: Invite

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 510 (128, 126, 128, 128)

Current Degree: Finished UG in 2016

Geography: IP

Extra-curricular: I think above-average, although I got rejected from Western, Ottawa and UBC. PM for details. In 2017 I got an interview to Calgary with a 123 CARS and scored in the 90th percentile in most attributes. In 2018 I didn't get a single interview to any med schools and I scored in the 50th percentile in most of Calgary's attributes. At this point, I think it's more random than anything.

CASPer: No invite to Ottawa. Didn't apply to Mac. But I felt good about it.

My first interview this year. I really did not think I had a chance after getting rejected from the other schools. In fact, I took a job offer because I didn't think I would need the time to prep for interviews anymore. Looks like I will not be taking that job after all haha. 

Result: Regrets

MCAT: high teens

Current Degree: graduated last year

Extra-curricular: Wide variety of volunteer including some overseas, some teaching and TA work, some hospital/clinic shadowing.  Not much research though (one poster, two presentations), 

CASPer: Thought it was ok, but who knows

I was actually pretty surprised as I got an interview last year and my application was better this year.  The only thing I can think is that I don't have anything long term (longer than a year).  Oh well, will try again next year.

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 518

Current Degree: Current MSc Student. Finished BSc in 2018

Geography: IP

Extra-Curricular: Generally diverse, with strong research background and volunteering in both healthcare and community settings.

CASPer: Always hard to tell. Felt good and put a lot of work into preparing for it this year.

This is my third year applying and the 3rd year in a row that I'll be interviewing at the U of A. 3rd time's the charm?

Result: Invite!

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 516 (129/128/129/130)

Current Degree: Masters

Extra-curricular: See previous posts. Extensive, diverse, and long-term. Got interviews at EC intensive schools.

CASPer: No invite to Mac. I thought it went ok, but who knows. Did some basic prep like reading the first couple chapters from Doing Right.

Super excited to be interviewing here! Excited to meet everyone :)

Result: Invite!
GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 509 (125,128,128,128)
Current Degree:  Completed by BA last semester
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Some long term volunteering and some short term but everything was a bit different and meaningful to me. Started a company and had a long term career entirely unrelated to medicine before applying. Some light research (no pubs) and academic awards.
CASPer: Felt better than last year but didn't get and invite to other casper schools.

GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 518 
Current Degree:  PhD, HBSc completed 2019
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Detailed In previous posts but probably not the best (4/17 score last year). A couple jobs, sports (lots of different sports and awards etc), coaching, volunteering. Some research funding both undergrad level and grad level. No publications but I did have 3 submitted coauthors  included  on my app idk if they even count those, 2 published abstracts from international conference that I did a poster at.
CASPer: No idea last year I did pass the casper test but I also passed the interview and didn’t get an invite so not sure how it’s included into selection process.

Result: Invite!
GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 516 (128 CARS)
Current Degree: Gap year after undergrad
Geography (IP/OOP): OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I got a Western interview. Last year I had a 3/16 EC score so this is quite surprising.
CASPer: Didn't get a uOttawa or a McMaster interview

GPA: 3.61 (with an steep upward trend)
MCAT: 519 (130/128/132/129)
Current Degree: BSc w/ Specialization
Geography (IP/OOP):  ‘Berta Boy (IP)
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):  Most of my volunteering, employment, and hobbies happened within my cultural community, which I think made my application wholesome and continuous. Also had some senior home, international, and youth group volunteering.  
CASPer: Thinking about it makes me cringe so hard because of how bad I felt about it lmao

•  

Result: raagraaaaaats
GPA: 3.97
MCAT: 514, 130 CARS
Current Degree: BSc, double major in bio and lit
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP 
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):  Bunch of volunteering at hospice, volunteering w international organization, studied in Europe for a semester, worked in student leadership, fair bit of clinical research 
CASPer: pretty decent I think 

here’s to one less flight to buy lol  

GPA: 3.98
MCAT: 521 (131 CARS) 
Current Degree: final year UG
Geography (IP/OOP): IP
Extracurricular Activities: Nontraditional research and volunteering, thoroughly filled out and wrote about unique hobbies.
CASPer: Not good enough for OOP McMaster and Ottawa, so I'm really excited for this opportunity!

MCAT: 525 (132/129/132/132) 
Current Degree: UG Completed
Extracurricular Activities: Heavy on employment, limited volunteering. 1st author publication.
CASPer: Good enough for McMaster and Manitoba

Excited for interview day - good luck everyone!

Result: invite!
MCAT: 517 (129/126/131/131)
Current Degree: 4th year
Extracurricular Activities: Filled everything but one employment. Spent quite a bit of time on this, to make sure I could use the short word limit of the description wisely. I think my letters of reference and my verifiers were very strong. I think I put the most effort into this application since I initially thought this was my best chance. 
CASPer: Im not sure how to feel, this is the only invite I got from any school that required CASPer. Not good enough for Ottawa, Queens, Mcgill or Manitoba. 

Congrats and good luck to everyone that got an interview! 

Result: Reject :(
GPA: 3.7
Current Degree: BSc. finished 2019
Geography (IP/OOP): IP (I think)
Extracurricular Activities: Volunteer content writer with non-profit for 3 years, Varsity Athlete, Volunteer in hospital (~200 hours), Research in two different neuro labs (~200 hours), various other volunteering in health care settings and coaching different sports. 
CASPer: No clue but felt good. 

Result: INVITE!
GPA: 3.62
MCAT: 506 (126, 124, 125, 131). Re-wrote this year and scored 499 LOL! No science background.
Current Degree: BScN 2017
Extracurricular Activities: Full-time nurse in public safety; Paediatric case management, pharmaceutical trials; Clinic lead for workplace health clinics. 5+ years community outreach work with vulnerable populations, heavy involvement with fitness industry and started school initiatives/ clubs, coaching. Long term experience abroad. Other random self-taught creative hobbies. Zero research. Wrote about personal challenges candidly in my personal essays. My experiences are all closely related and paint a clear picture of my values. 
CASPer: Felt it went well. Most of the scenarios I've encountered in real life, so I really enjoyed the exam. 

Second time applying, first invite, and I am still in SHOCK that I got an interview after being rejected pre-interview from Calgary. I sat in my car crying today lol. I believe my personal activities were my saving grace given my horrendous GPA and MCAT score. Last year, I scored above interview average in ECs. I made big strides to strengthen my application this cycle. The MCAT didn't work out, and I was expected to be rejected pre-interview. Was planning on ditching the MCAT and focus on my current career going forward. Feeling incredibly blessed to be offered this opportunity to show who I am. Excited to meet everyone on interview day! 

Result: Regrets
GPA: 3.93 
MCAT: 516 with 129 CARS
Current Degree: Masters
Geography (IP/OOP): OOP
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Enough for Calgary (volunteering, publications, lots of hobbies, etc.)
CASPer: not good enough for Mac 

Congrats to everyone who got an interview - really wasn't expecting to get an invite here.

GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 505 (127 CARS)
Current Degree: BSc in Business and Masters in Business Law in the US (Graduated Spring 2019)
Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Lots of non-health related employment, minimal volunteering, zero research, D1 NCAA Athlete/Captain
CASPer: Felt Ok but not great.

Rejected at U of C this year and last so pretty excited to get an interview. Congrats to all you got one and good luck with future apps to anyone who didn't. Don't give up!

Congratulations to everyone who got an interview! Quick question for anyone else who may have ran into this mistake in past... I have a conflict of interview dates with UofA and UofC but did not see the conflict of interest email until checking my Ualberta email tonight :(

Are all of the UofA interview dates on March.14th or have you guys receive other potential dates?