Premed 101 Forums

PAs working in radiology

• 8 months later...

Physician assistants aren't really moving in the direction of having radiology as a specialty for practice because there are already programs and practicing radiology assistants and medical radiology technicians I believe they're called. You do learn basic imaging interpretation in PA school though as this is needed in all fields of medicine. 

W0lfgang - never heard of it. As you know a bit of a step curve to hit anything that is actually useful - I always joke to do anything in radiology you almost have to be able to everything ha. 

I though there was some talk about mammography at one point - at least that is a more isolated system(?) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:04 AM, ArchEnemy said:

https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/view/radiology-extenders-outperform-radiology-residents-with-chest-x-ray-interpretations

I read this article the other day and found it very interesting. Wondering if it is mostly matter of the total number of clinical hours (senior residents > experienced techs > junior residents)?

The junior residents "are slower" because attendings spend time teaching junior residents. The extenders also had more big misses than the junior residents.

FYI the paper was also retracted.

5 hours ago, 1D7 said:

The junior residents "are slower" because attendings spend time teaching junior residents. The extenders also had more big misses than the junior residents.

FYI the paper was also retracted.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. This article was discussed quite extensively on **DELETED** when first published. Glad to hear that it has since been retracted. I wonder how it got through the peer review process in the first place. Very similar to the article published in Vascular Surgery on #medkini.