Premed 101 Forums

Ask questions about emergency medicine here

5 hours ago, amerus12 said:

Thank you for all of your responses! I’m a third year medical student and very interested in EM. I’ve been grateful to be able to pick up 1-2 ER shifts per week this last year dispute COVID - my third year is rural. When I’m in the ED, it feels like I’m ‘home’ and a 10 hour shift passes in 5 minutes. I don’t have any experience with tertiary ED and my preceptors are FM ( not plus 1 ) with one 5 year doc.

For the 5-year EM docs here, I was wondering what you picked as your interest area ( e.g. medical education, sports Med, transport, mass casualty, etc. ). is this included in the fourth year or is it a fellowship after? Did you do anything in your clerkship to show your interest?

I’ve read a bit about addictions medicine sub specialty of EM ( but in the states ). Can Canadian 5 year EM docs do this and have an out patient clinic as well as EM? 

Thank you!

In general with a 5 year FRCPC you won't be doing outpatient work in Canada.  You will be working in an emergency department of some sort mostly, or some other venture on private contract work ( such as MGM etc).

This is a main difference for +1 vs 5 year; FM+1 have flexibility to do outpatient work if they get burnt out by EM work. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go:   Just joking here with the picture above. I don't have a definition. However, there are some medical students who just don't give a good vibe to others. Examples

This is by far one of the most common questions people who are interested in EM ask. Lots of good answers on here about it.  It’s also a reasonable question with perhaps an unsatisfying non-black and

In general with a 5 year FRCPC you won't be doing outpatient work in Canada.  You will be working in an emergency department of some sort mostly, or some other venture on private contract work ( such

Posted Images

On 4/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, amerus12 said:

Thank you for all of your responses! I’m a third year medical student and very interested in EM. I’ve been grateful to be able to pick up 1-2 ER shifts per week this last year dispute COVID - my third year is rural. When I’m in the ED, it feels like I’m ‘home’ and a 10 hour shift passes in 5 minutes. I don’t have any experience with tertiary ED and my preceptors are FM ( not plus 1 ) with one 5 year doc.

For the 5-year EM docs here, I was wondering what you picked as your interest area ( e.g. medical education, sports Med, transport, mass casualty, etc. ). is this included in the fourth year or is it a fellowship after? Did you do anything in your clerkship to show your interest?

I’ve read a bit about addictions medicine sub specialty of EM ( but in the states ). Can Canadian 5 year EM docs do this and have an out patient clinic as well as EM? 

Thank you!

Yes, addictions medicine is becoming increasingly popular amongst 5 year grads. I know some ED docs who do clinic (mostly rapid access addictions clinic) and also do inpatient addictions consult service, in addition to regular EM practice.

Some people did do this as a fellowship year during residency, however, with the transition to the CBD residency curriculum, most of your "area of interest" time is now during your R5 year (since R4 is now the Royal College year). This makes it a bit more challenging to do a full 1 year fellowship during that time (as you also need to apply for jobs, work on transitioning to practice, etc..). It's still a bit unclear how this will work.

There are still a broad array of interests that people choose. Ultrasound, trauma, sports med (which can also be clinic based), med ed, transport medicine, PEM, geriatrics, resuscitation, etc..

• 2 months later...

Incoming FM PGY1 in a rural program here. Just wondering if somebody could speak to which schools are more likely to take incoming PGY3s to EM from outside their own FM programs? Planning to apply broadly (best shot likely at my home school), but would like to focus away elective(s) on programs most likely to take applicants from other schools. I've heard that U of A is pretty good for taking outside applicants