Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Ask questions about emergency medicine here


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, amerus12 said:

Thank you for all of your responses! I’m a third year medical student and very interested in EM. I’ve been grateful to be able to pick up 1-2 ER shifts per week this last year dispute COVID - my third year is rural. When I’m in the ED, it feels like I’m ‘home’ and a 10 hour shift passes in 5 minutes. I don’t have any experience with tertiary ED and my preceptors are FM ( not plus 1 ) with one 5 year doc.

For the 5-year EM docs here, I was wondering what you picked as your interest area ( e.g. medical education, sports Med, transport, mass casualty, etc. ). is this included in the fourth year or is it a fellowship after? Did you do anything in your clerkship to show your interest?

I’ve read a bit about addictions medicine sub specialty of EM ( but in the states ). Can Canadian 5 year EM docs do this and have an out patient clinic as well as EM? 

Thank you!

In general with a 5 year FRCPC you won't be doing outpatient work in Canada.  You will be working in an emergency department of some sort mostly, or some other venture on private contract work ( such as MGM etc).

This is a main difference for +1 vs 5 year; FM+1 have flexibility to do outpatient work if they get burnt out by EM work. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go:   Just joking here with the picture above. I don't have a definition. However, there are some medical students who just don't give a good vibe to others. Examples

This is by far one of the most common questions people who are interested in EM ask. Lots of good answers on here about it.  It’s also a reasonable question with perhaps an unsatisfying non-black and

In general with a 5 year FRCPC you won't be doing outpatient work in Canada.  You will be working in an emergency department of some sort mostly, or some other venture on private contract work ( such

Posted Images

On 4/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, amerus12 said:

Thank you for all of your responses! I’m a third year medical student and very interested in EM. I’ve been grateful to be able to pick up 1-2 ER shifts per week this last year dispute COVID - my third year is rural. When I’m in the ED, it feels like I’m ‘home’ and a 10 hour shift passes in 5 minutes. I don’t have any experience with tertiary ED and my preceptors are FM ( not plus 1 ) with one 5 year doc.

For the 5-year EM docs here, I was wondering what you picked as your interest area ( e.g. medical education, sports Med, transport, mass casualty, etc. ). is this included in the fourth year or is it a fellowship after? Did you do anything in your clerkship to show your interest?

I’ve read a bit about addictions medicine sub specialty of EM ( but in the states ). Can Canadian 5 year EM docs do this and have an out patient clinic as well as EM? 

Thank you!

Yes, addictions medicine is becoming increasingly popular amongst 5 year grads. I know some ED docs who do clinic (mostly rapid access addictions clinic) and also do inpatient addictions consult service, in addition to regular EM practice.

Some people did do this as a fellowship year during residency, however, with the transition to the CBD residency curriculum, most of your "area of interest" time is now during your R5 year (since R4 is now the Royal College year). This makes it a bit more challenging to do a full 1 year fellowship during that time (as you also need to apply for jobs, work on transitioning to practice, etc..). It's still a bit unclear how this will work.

There are still a broad array of interests that people choose. Ultrasound, trauma, sports med (which can also be clinic based), med ed, transport medicine, PEM, geriatrics, resuscitation, etc..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Incoming FM PGY1 in a rural program here. Just wondering if somebody could speak to which schools are more likely to take incoming PGY3s to EM from outside their own FM programs? Planning to apply broadly (best shot likely at my home school), but would like to focus away elective(s) on programs most likely to take applicants from other schools. I've heard that U of A is pretty good for taking outside applicants

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 1:03 PM, JohnGrisham said:

In general with a 5 year FRCPC you won't be doing outpatient work in Canada.  You will be working in an emergency department of some sort mostly, or some other venture on private contract work ( such as MGM etc).

This is a main difference for +1 vs 5 year; FM+1 have flexibility to do outpatient work if they get burnt out by EM work. 

 

 There are opportunities out there for outpatient work with an FRCPC. Within my practice group alone I know FRCPC docs doing sports medicine, pain medicine, addictions, aerospace medicine, etc, and various types of procedural work within clinics. I count myself among this group. They are all FRCPC trained. 

I would say this is becoming increasingly more common, particularly amongst those who finished residency within the last ten years. Now that I am coming up on five years post residency, I find myself actively actually encouraging others who are newly minted staff to consider “side gigs” to leverage your training outside of the emergency department. I think this is key for many ppl in order to fully enjoy a long-term career within emergency medicine, to maximize one’s potential to expand, and to make your life more interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rogerroger said:

 There are opportunities out there for outpatient work with an FRCPC. Within my practice group alone I know FRCPC docs doing sports medicine, pain medicine, addictions, aerospace medicine, etc, and various types of procedural work within clinics. I count myself among this group. They are all FRCPC trained. 

I would say this is becoming increasingly more common, particularly amongst those who finished residency within the last ten years. Now that I am coming up on five years post residency, I find myself actively actually encouraging others who are newly minted staff to consider “side gigs” to leverage your training outside of the emergency department. I think this is key for many ppl in order to fully enjoy a long-term career within emergency medicine, to maximize one’s potential to expand, and to make your life more interesting.

Definitely becoming more common! Especially with younger trainees willing to do further training/fellowships open to royal college trainees in other areas. It definitely is a great way to help prevent burn out. Some that I have seen recently were pain fellowship, palliative  and addictions.  Most of the time(jurisdiction dependent), it does require further training however(or if you can build the extra fellowship into the 5 year base program etc). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain the point of the 5th year of the FRCP program now if you finish the Royal College exam in the 4th year, and can't even complete a 1 year fellowship due to other competing things taking up your time?

Is it free labour? Historical? Seems like a waste to me...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redpill said:

Can someone explain the point of the 5th year of the FRCP program now if you finish the Royal College exam in the 4th year, and can't even complete a 1 year fellowship due to other competing things taking up your time?

Is it free labour? Historical? Seems like a waste to me...

Would love to hear the answer to this as well... seems kinda crazy to me that EM is 3 years in the US and 5 years here... especially when you can do a one-year fellowship as an FM and have the same scope of practice & renumeration...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...