Premed 101 Forums

To successful applicants - how many times did you apply?

1) 3 times. One year, I couldn't even submit an application I'd been working on because my MCAT was soo bad. I've been rejected by Calgary without an interview every time I applied. 

2) 3.7, and highlights... rural kid, nursing in the ER, told stories about being outside and being at work. I have no research experience and no really interesting awards etc so I must have told some really good stories about hiking and resuscitating. (or the right person saw them).

As for encouragement:

DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. It is so hard to put your heart and soul into an application, spend all that time waiting and then be rejected. I've experienced it and it took a long time for me to come to terms with the fact that it wasn't me not being good enough. The right person has to see your application at the right time for it to shine and it's mostly luck. 
KEEP APPLYING. Seriously. Keep applying. The years will pass anyway and if it is where you are meant to be you'll end up in medical school. It is a grind. You can do it.
DEVELOP SOME REALLY GOOD COPING SKILLS AND GENUINELY CARE ABOUT YOURSELF. In the mean time, work on developing who you are as a person, focus on your self care and invest in your personal relationships because medical school takes a toll on your home life. And you want to be ready for when you get here.

Good luck everyone :wub:

1) Two times. First failure was a good life lesson and I went to pursue another degree as a plan B but it turned out to be even more enlightening about systemic health. 

2) 3.7 something, MPH, worked a bit in the biostatistics field 

3) I think the main thing about continuing to apply is to make sure you look at improving your application and interview and do introspection as to the reasons for not getting in. On a side note not getting in isn't necessarily failure nor does it mean you weren't good enough. There are many really good applicants out there to begin with but you just have to be the best you can be. I also echo the sentiment about continuing to live your life, having plan Bs, and maintaining close relationships. 

- G