Premed 101 Forums

Sports Medicine and working abroad

Are PA's able to work in sport medicine? Are they able to work with like a pro level sport team? Sports has always been a passion of mine and I have always thought of medical school to do sport medicine but I found out about PA's and wouldn't mind assisting a doctor if I can still do sports medicine. 

As well, I would love to work abroad to help others who may not have a healthcare system like Canada's or in times of criss. Like doctors with out boarders, however I don't see any paid jobs  for PA's to do this. 

Thanks!

To answer your questions: yes they can work in sport medicine (physiatry and orthopedics are both areas where PAs currently work), no they typically do not travel with a pro level sports team (these positions are generally reserved for physicians), and generally speaking PAs do not work abroad. If you want to work abroad you should strongly consider going to medical school. The PA profession in Canada is still growing, and we need Canadian trained PAs who are going to stay and work in Canada to help grow the profession.