Premed 101 Forums

South Health Campus Elective

I got an MTU elective at the South Health Campus. As I'm from Ontario, I likely won't be driving, and this site just looks so far removed from everything else. 

From my understanding, this is one of the 4 main hospitals. Would an elective experience here significantly defer from Foothills/Peter Lougheed/Rockeyview other than its inconvenient location? 

I think I'd really prefer any of the other 3 hospitals for their locations. But with how competitive electives are, I don't want to cancel this elective unless the other 3 sites are objectively better (in terms of teaching/staff/reference letters, etc).

Thanks in advance!

It's MTU. it won't be significantly different because it's MTU. I know what it started it was a bit different than other sites, but that was also when SHC just opened.

My understanding is that most of the MTU staff are graduates or longstanding members in Calgary IM.

You either stay somewhere close to this site or prepare to drive to SHC daily. The transit sucks to get out there. Maybe you can get a good deal through National car (CMA website deal).

enjoy and welcome to YYC!

20 hours ago, ihsh said:

I got an MTU elective at the South Health Campus. As I'm from Ontario, I likely won't be driving, and this site just looks so far removed from everything else. 

From my understanding, this is one of the 4 main hospitals. Would an elective experience here significantly defer from Foothills/Peter Lougheed/Rockeyview other than its inconvenient location? 

I think I'd really prefer any of the other 3 hospitals for their locations. But with how competitive electives are, I don't want to cancel this elective unless the other 3 sites are objectively better (in terms of teaching/staff/reference letters, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Hi ihsh;

Having had to make arrangements for two different rotations at SHC, I just have a few points re:logistics:

1) Airbnb could be your friend in the area. I secured long stays in preetty nice places quite near the hospital (as in, 2-5 minute walking distance). There are a lot of new condos in the area, some of which have probably been bought by investors on spec; this is to your advantage in the short-term rental market.

2) Although the area around SHC is definitely soul-less suburbia, it does have all the amenities you really need right nearby. Really nice new grocery stores, a few restaurants, even a new movie theatre. You probably won't have too much time to 'enjoy stuff' during your elective anyway, I just want to point out that all your real essentials are available in that immediate area, even without a car.

3) If you can't or don't want to stay near the hospital, and aren't sure about a car rental/parking, be advised that there's an express (limited stops) bus that runs down to SHC from downtown. Staying somewhere along the route of this bus (the 302) will make for an easier transit experience than taking the train and then connecting to a bus. (Although the C-Train does go to the Deep South, it doesn't go quite deep enough, thus requiring the bus connection.) 

http://www.calgarytransit.com/schedules-maps?route=302&direction=0

All the best!

-JJ