Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums



Recommended Posts

They can practice in Canada with an accredited ACGME US residency if: (1) They are a Canadian citizen/PR, and (2) The length of residency in the US is equal to or greater than the length of residency in Canada. There may be some hoops to jump through like a few months of supervised practice (?), but it's overall a pretty straightforward process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know if there’s a full list of specialties that are different length somewhere to help you make your decision but the ones I know of the top of my head are

 Ophthalmology (4 years in US vs 5 years in Canada)

Neurosurgery ( 7 years in US vs 6 years in Canada) 

Family Medicine ( 3 years USA, 2 years Canada) 

I’m sure there are others but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. (Resp/ICU combo in the states would be hard to come back to Canada afterwards I believe as well)

Out of these, Ophthalmology would be hard to come back to practice in Canada while the rest would be harder to go down and practice in the states.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...