Premed 101 Forums

UofT 2020 Applications DISCUSSION THREAD

Hi all,

I figured that an official discussion thread for this year's UofT application cycle would help us out. I know that we want to keep the invites/regrets thread to stats, so feel free to use this thread to speculate and ask, "So, when IS the next wave coming?"

To start us off, I'm wondering if UofT has a "secret waitlist" where many of the applicants' files have already been reviewed, but they're just waiting until late March to send them an R.

Last year's UofT threads were so quiet. Let's not be afraid to support each other and be neurotic together this year! :P

1 hour ago, Baljinderthecrow said:

I like the idea of this thread! I agree with your secret waitlist hypothesis, it would explain why so many people are rejected just a few days prior to the last interview date. 

Yep exactly. I mean UofT does openly say that they keep a small group of people waiting until March in case interview spots open up, but perhaps the group is not that "small." At least for the people I know who got rejected from UofT last year, 90% of them were rejected in mid/late March.

35 minutes ago, redbeanbun said:

Yep exactly. I mean UofT does openly say that they keep a small group of people waiting until March in case interview spots open up, but perhaps the group is not that "small." At least for the people I know who got rejected from UofT last year, 90% of them were rejected in mid/late March.

yea literally me and most of my friends were rejected very late in march. Kind of seems cruel.

For the (few) rejections which have been sent out so far, does anyone know if they were very strong applications or weaker ones? Has anyone with a very high GPA and good ABS been rejected? If not the majority of these rejections should be coming mid-late March. :/

At least, if we don't hear back by the end of the first week or so of March, we know that it will likely be a R. 

8 minutes ago, kreedz said:

For the (few) rejections which have been sent out so far, does anyone know if they were very strong applications or weaker ones? Has anyone with a very high GPA and good ABS been rejected? If not the majority of these rejections should be coming mid-late March. :/

At least, if we don't hear back by the end of the first week or so of March, we know that it will likely be a R. 

I had friends from last year rejected with wGPA of 4.0 and amazing ABS. Albeit they were masters students, they had a diverse ABS with a lot of leadership and academic activities. 

3 hours ago, kreedz said:

Out of all my friends (undergrads), only one has been rejected and he thinks it’s due to his low GPA (met cutoff but not competitive). So it does seem like majority of rejections will come in March again which sucks. Just give me my R already and put me out of my agony! 

28 minutes ago, redbeanbun said:

Out of all my friends (undergrads), only one has been rejected and he thinks it’s due to his low GPA (met cutoff but not competitive). So it does seem like majority of rejections will come in March again which sucks. Just give me my R already and put me out of my agony! 

Happens every year, for many many years. Almost a rite of passage at this point lol.

3 hours ago, IMislove said:

Happens every year, for many many years. Almost a rite of passage at this point lol.

Yeah lol. It's just that a lot of people thought they might've changed things up this year and actually made both invites/regrets rolling since there were quite a few rejections in January. However at this point it's pretty clear there hasn't been enough regrets sent out, so I'm sure the big wave at end of March is still going to happen.

9 hours ago, kreedz said:

I know someone with a high GPA and good ECs who got invites at 2 other schools who was rejected form UofT in January. 

54 minutes ago, enmdkodof said:

I answered this in the other thread (maybe that is the wrong thread?), but i know MD/PhD applicants received interviews for that date already

Thank for letting us know! Is it for an MD/PhD interview, or is it an MD interview? Just wondering because March 8 is listed as an MD interview date, and March 7 is an MD/PhD interview date.