Premed 101 Forums

OTTAWA INTERVIEW 2020 DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Researchbunny100 said:

Does anyone know whether uOttawa's list of excellence contains both the waitlist and the list of acceptances or just the list of acceptances? 

I think when they say "list of excellence" it just means the ranking list of candidates, from which they send out offers to the top 168 (or something). And the rest will be waitlisted. The only exception to that is if you had a really poor interview in which case you won't be ranked on this list at all (but I think these cases would be rarer...?)

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Researchbunny100 said:

Does anyone know what time the offers of admission/ status of application e mails are sent out on May 12th? 

I believe in past years it's been around 7am EST! Last year though, people could see offers (but not rejects/waitlists) at midnight on OMSAS but we're not sure if that was a glitch or a new thing!

15 minutes ago, wannabemdplease said:

Anyone know when the waiting list officially closes? Preparing myself for Tuesday lol. I had a friend who got off the waiting list for UofT in August, though I would assume that is a rare circumstance. 

in the same boat with preparing myself. I'm even hoping that I'm not on the bad waitlist at this point. I think it closes when the class is full which has been usually in June.. latest July. 

13 minutes ago, wannabemdplease said:

Anyone know when the waiting list officially closes? Preparing myself for Tuesday lol. I had a friend who got off the waiting list for UofT in August, though I would assume that is a rare circumstance. 

i've been looking through the waitlist support threads from previous cycles (i'm freaking out and mentally preparing myself too ahh :wacko:) and i think admissions sends an email out to the interviewees (or maybe just the people still on the waiting list?) when the class is officially full!

i think the most waitlist movement is from late may to early june after mostly everyone has confirmed their offers on omsas, but i'm guessing someone could theoretically get off the waitlist all the way up until right before classes start if a person who confirmed their offer decides to not go anymore last minute

1 hour ago, tennie said:

i've been looking through the waitlist support threads from previous cycles (i'm freaking out and mentally preparing myself too ahh :wacko:) and i think admissions sends an email out to the interviewees (or maybe just the people still on the waiting list?) when the class is officially full!

i think the most waitlist movement is from late may to early june after mostly everyone has confirmed their offers on omsas, but i'm guessing someone could theoretically get off the waitlist all the way up until right before classes start if a person who confirmed their offer decides to not go anymore last minute

They usually send out an email mid June letting you know that the class is full. I think their waitlist moves every two weeks but I am not too sure!

2 hours ago, theinbetween said:

in the same boat with preparing myself. I'm even hoping that I'm not on the bad waitlist at this point. I think it closes when the class is full which has been usually in June.. latest July. 

Last year closed June 24 when I got the final email I wasn’t accepted off waitlist 

1 hour ago, med97 said:

How much of an advantage does a high GPA give you at Ottawa post-interview for acceptance/good wait-list purposes? Let's say 3.97 - their average acceptance GPA last year was 3.94 which is almost close to U of T's 3.96, where U of T allows you to drop courses through their formula.

I'd say it helps but not as much as you think because interview scores account for much of the difference between candidates. 

Can someone pls clarify the difference between the good vs bad waitlist? Is this discretely mentioned when receiving the email on Tuesday? And does anyone know typically how many people are on each waitlist? Preparing myself with all the info to limit freakouts as much as possible on Tuesday lol

3 minutes ago, medhopeful1 said:

Can someone pls clarify the difference between the good vs bad waitlist? Is this discretely mentioned when receiving the email on Tuesday? And does anyone know typically how many people are on each waitlist? Preparing myself with all the info to limit freakouts as much as possible on Tuesday lol

I believe the bad waitlist email would say "based on your ranking, you're unlikely to receive an offer" or something along those lines. Good waitlist will just say that you're on the waitlist. No idea about the # of people though. :/

18 hours ago, medhopeful1 said:

No idea about the # of people on the good waitlist. I knew someone that was on the GOOD waitlist 3x (can't apply to UO after interviewing 3x) and never got in. It could be 250 people on the Good WL for all we know :( I wish they would give us the number of people on it. Because I know I most likely will be on a waitlist (like 99.9999% sure) so i've already mentally prepped. But not knowing how many people are on it is kind of useless - I could be # 249. I wish we got some sort of number like McGill..

The waitlist moves about 80 people but that also includes all the other streams (less for the French stream) so maybe 60-70 for the English? Not sure. But you also have to consider that Ottawa accepts the least about of applicants out of all the schools in Ontario (~116 English..). I am just hoping that the waitlist moves a lot this year and that I'm in a semi-not-so-terrible-decent bin so it kind of compensates for my 3.85 wGPA and somehow I make it off of the WL.. if I'm on the good WL that is.

Also, last year they didn't have good or bad waitlist. just everyone on a waitlist so you legit had no idea if you were on the bad or good. so I really hope that doesn't happen this year :(

ugh i really wish they would give us a # for the waitlist. it wouldn't hurt to give some closure during a stressful time. 

47 minutes ago, theinbetween said:

No idea about the # of people on the good waitlist. I knew someone that was on the GOOD waitlist 3x (can't apply to UO after interviewing 3x) and never got in. It could be 250 people on the Good WL for all we know :( I wish they would give us the number of people on it. Because I know I most likely will be on a waitlist (like 99.9999% sure) so i've already mentally prepped. But not knowing how many people are on it is kind of useless - I could be # 249. I wish we got some sort of number like McGill..

The waitlist moves about 80 people but that also includes all the other streams (less for the French stream) so maybe 60-70 for the English? Not sure. But you also have to consider that Ottawa accepts the least about of applicants out of all the schools in Ontario (~116 English..). I am just hoping that the waitlist moves a lot this year and that I'm in a semi-not-so-terrible-decent bin so it kind of compensates for my 3.85 wGPA and somehow I make it off of the WL.. if I'm on the good WL that is.

Also, last year they didn't have good or bad waitlist. just everyone on a waitlist so you legit had no idea if you were on the bad or good. so I really hope that doesn't happen this year :(

ugh i really wish they would give us a # for the waitlist. it wouldn't hurt to give some closure during a stressful time. 

That was a really sucky situation your friend was in. :(

The one year they didn't do good/bad waitlists was 2017. But they reinstated that for 2018 and 2019 so they should have it this year as well. 

2 hours ago, theinbetween said:

Just a minor correction, Queen's actually accepts the least in Ontario- they have 100 spots but 10 are for QuARMS so they only have spots for ~90 applicants each year

5 minutes ago, Psych said:

Just a minor correction, Queen's actually accepts the least in Ontario- they have 100 spots but 10 are for QuARMS so they only have spots for ~90 applicants each year

Even lower if you take out MD/PHD? And MD/Masters? Plus deferals from last year I guess.  Don't they also have some reserved for military?

6 minutes ago, cantstopwontstop said:

I really wish ottawa had more seats!

I completely understand how you're feeling, i've been sitting here doing the math all day trying to figure out what my chances are

I'm currently sitting at 35-40% with the waitlist movements counted in for the English stream. I REALLY hope the situation at Mac this year won't affect the waitlist too significantly... 

Just now, cantstopwontstop said:

Do you think it would? 

LOL I honestly don't know but Ottawa and Mac have CASPer in common and I suspect a lot of people might be accepted at both and with the *outcry* going on in the Mac thread, they might go with Ottawa instead of Mac. But I'm just speculating and there's no way we'll know for sure. :blink:

1 minute ago, DrOtter said:

LOL I honestly don't know but Ottawa and Mac have CASPer in common and I suspect a lot of people might be accepted at both and with the *outcry* going on in the Mac thread, they might go with Ottawa instead of Mac. But I'm just speculating and there's no way we'll know for sure. :blink:

You're so right. I really hope people dont decline Mac because of the "lottery" stuff. Mac is such a great school - did my undergrad there! Ottawa I think usually is further for people so maybe that may contribute in some way?