Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing experience/ observation de médecins

Jane39

Hi! Does anyone know how to get some shadowing experience. I'd like to see a bit of the field before applying and I don't know any doctors personnally.

Salut! Est-ce que quelqu'un saurait comment suivre des médecins pour les voir dans leurs pratique? Je ne connait pas de médecin personnellement, mais j'aimerais avoir une meilleure idée du métier avant d'appliquer.

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 4:31 PM, Jane39 said:

Hi! Does anyone know how to get some shadowing experience. I'd like to see a bit of the field before applying and I don't know any doctors personnally.

Salut! Est-ce que quelqu'un saurait comment suivre des médecins pour les voir dans leurs pratique? Je ne connait pas de médecin personnellement, mais j'aimerais avoir une meilleure idée du métier avant d'appliquer.

Hi! I know that here in Quebec, medical schools don’t really look at/care about shadowing experiences. Nevertheless, if you want to shadow in order to learn more about the daily life of a doctor, or about a certain medical specialty, you can easily do this (due to the pandemic, now is most probably not the best time to shadow in a hospital, but here’s some information if you’d like to do it in the future): 

In secondary 4 I was required to do a day of shadowing in the profession of my choice, and I wanted to go in a hospital to do so. I also didn’t know any doctors or had anyone in my entourage who was in the medical field, so I simply looked up « stage » opportunities on different hospital websites, and most of them displayed this opportunity as being for people who are already in premed or cegep, and not in high school. If you’re out of high school, there’s usually a form you can fill in and send to an email that’s provided to apply for shadowing. However, if you are in high school, you can send a polite email explaining why you’d like to shadow at that hospital, and which type of doctor you’d like to shadow, and they will most probably accept you to go in for a day even if you’re a high school student (this worked for me at Sainte-Justine, not sure if it applies to other hospitals). 

Otherwise, if you’d like to do something similar that is more recognized by cegeps and medical schools, as well as gain some sort of perspective on the medical field, you can always apply to volunteer in hospitals the same way, by checking if they offer this opportunity on their website (even if they don’t, you can always send an email to ask if they’re looking for volunteers). Most hospitals require you to be 16 years or older in order to volunteer, and although this doesn’t give you the same exact experience as shadowing, it is definitely more useful and recognized when applying to medical school. 

Hope this helped :)