Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoff changed?

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the MCAT requirement for next cycle has been changed, and it apparently is now based on what your gpa is (I’m assuming a high gpa = can have a lower score?). However, one cannot have a score lower than 123 in a section. Interesting change! 

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/admissions/mcat-requirement.html

It appears to still be in the works 

On 2/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, Anaik said:

it apparently is now based on what your gpa is (I’m assuming a high gpa = can have a lower score?) 

I am confused by Dal's new academic score policy change. If you have a high GPA and low MCAT (or vice versa) then your academic score won't plummet due to one of your low results? Or does this mean the MCAT is less important and GPA has more of influence? 

2 hours ago, yeeewww said:

I am confused by Dal's new academic score policy change. If you have a high GPA and low MCAT (or vice versa) then your academic score won't plummet due to one of your low results? Or does this mean the MCAT is less important and GPA has more of influence? 

We will have to wait and see! They have a few lines that say “insert table” so my guess is they’ll toss some tables that give you an idea of what the minimum mcat is given your gpa. I also feel like it’ll change how the mcat is weighted (it use to be 10%, will it be just a cutoff now??)

12 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

I'm really surprised that they've set a sub 500 floor when the AAMC designed the MCAT to have a 500 represent the minimum standard to br successful/something like that. I'm sure there are great medical students/residents out there with sub 500 scores, but it's still curious. 

It'll remain to be seen if the MCAT will be assessed competitively or not, as in are these scores just minimums to apply (meaning you'd need higher to really have a chance) or used as cutoffs only.

5 hours ago, spriCan said:

I called the admissions and they said the mcat is still being assessed competitively

Yeah it appears to still have its 10% weight.

I’m really surprised they allowed the MCAT to get that low. Granted I don’t think a 492 will net you many points in that area...

I know Dal has hard cutoffs for their 3 assessment categories (interview, GPA + Mcat, supplemental + essay), that if you get below you’ll get an instant rejection, maybe these new mcat requirements let someone sit on the cusp of those cutoffs for the academic section? For example maybe a 492 is 2/10 points and the hard cutoff is 17/25 for the academic section. So with a 4.0 gpa (which is 15/15) they’re playing onto their “hard cutoffs” instead of setting arbitrary mcat cutoffs, and I guess potentially bringing in more applicants that way

Idk I like over-analyzing I guess :)

On 3/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, Anaik said:

Yeah it appears to still have its 10% weight.

I’m really surprised they allowed the MCAT to get that low. Granted I don’t think a 492 will net you many points in that area...

I know Dal has hard cutoffs for their 3 assessment categories (interview, GPA + Mcat, supplemental + essay), that if you get below you’ll get an instant rejection, maybe these new mcat requirements let someone sit on the cusp of those cutoffs for the academic section? For example maybe a 492 is 2/10 points and the hard cutoff is 17/25 for the academic section. So with a 4.0 gpa (which is 15/15) they’re playing onto their “hard cutoffs” instead of setting arbitrary mcat cutoffs, and I guess potentially bringing in more applicants that way

Idk I like over-analyzing I guess :)

I don't think this will change anything to be honest, besides allow some people with low mcat scores to apply and simply increase the applicant pool

The class acceptance average will always be around 509-512. 

If someone gets a 492 you are probably going to get a 1/10 in that section and being 9 points behind the class average is pretty much already a guaranteed decline or low-waitlist at best 

19 hours ago, peiapplicant said:

I don't think this will change anything to be honest, besides allow some people with low mcat scores to apply and simply increase the applicant pool

The class acceptance average will always be around 509-512. 

If someone gets a 492 you are probably going to get a 1/10 in that section and being 9 points behind the class average is pretty much already a guaranteed decline or low-waitlist at best 

That’s my thinking as well. Even though the cutoff as dropped I feel like someone with their minimum wouldn’t net the points they need..

20 hours ago, Eskimolimon said:

How hard would it be to get a 492/493 MCAT score with 2 months of studying? 

Depends on your background. I feel like a lot of people strong in sciences would be able to go in blind and get it, but keep in mind there’s also a 123 cutoff for the sections as well.