Premed 101 Forums

Question on Graduate studies

Hello everyone,

How exactly having graduate studies improve ones application. I know that the graduate students and undergrads are compared to one another and are in the same pool. Beside getting  better chance to get publications, how can having a graduate degree boost your chances. Do they get a bonus on their GPA as Mcmaster does?

Really appreciate your insight! 

Graduate students are assessed in their own pool actually, separate from the undergraduate stream. But I don't think UofT takes into account graduate school's grades or publishes how much it might benefit you either. But from what they say on their website, it's safe to assume that the graduate pool might have slightly lower competitive GPA (compared to the average of 3.96 in the undergrad pool for example). But that's all you can tell, unless one is actually in the selection committee. 

I believe McGill also gives you an advantage if you complete a graduate degree but I'm not as informed about their process. 

Hey there. I agree with DrOtter. Based on their new changes, a publication doesnt matter if you're placed in the grad pool or not. You're automatically assessed as a grad applicant but you get "weighting" at varying degrees, depending on the nature of your grad studies and what stage you're in. Example: PhD conferred > MSc conferred > MSc in progress etc.. it's on their website in more detail. 

Queens I believe barely looks at your GPA if you're a grad applicant. I think the cutoff is very low if you're applying with a conferred or in progress MSc or PhD. Its one of the few programs that helps alot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:12 AM, DrOtter said:

Graduate students are assessed in their own pool actually, separate from the undergraduate stream. But I don't think UofT takes into account graduate school's grades or publishes how much it might benefit you either. But from what they say on their website, it's safe to assume that the graduate pool might have slightly lower competitive GPA (compared to the average of 3.96 in the undergrad pool for example). But that's all you can tell, unless one is actually in the selection committee. 

I believe McGill also gives you an advantage if you complete a graduate degree but I'm not as informed about their process. 

I emailed UofT med once, and they said the 3.96 average includes grad students, not sure if they changed things since last year.