Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone have any tips/experience with second degree applications?

Hi everyone, 

I was looking for someone who has second degree experience with applications and tips/info on some of my questions, or knows someone who can help. I have contacted the schools but gotten some vague answers as replies, so I am unsure as to what to do. Essentially, my cGPA from my first degree is pretty awful (6.8/7.4/5.4/7.4/8.4 per year breakdown on uOttawa's scale), okay MCAT (130/125/130/129, likely retake for CARS) and I am looking to do a second degree. I found what I wanted to do later than most others so its my price to pay but I will work on it. Here is the dilemma: first degree was in BCH, second will be in BPS, with the courses carrying over, my second degree will take 2 years to complete. I can keep the 3rd year level or higher reqs for Western. But here is the problem/problems:

1) clearly most of my bad grades are early on, which are also the ones that carry over in terms of degree requirements. UO says on my transcript, a new cGPA will be part of the second degree based on the classes I take. Will schools see these on applications? Will they affect me negatively?

2) Is 2y enough for a second degree? most schools just say "we accept second degrees as long as they are equivalent to a 4y degree", but I am literally cutting it in half and the school will only use grades for 2y to give me a cGPA. This seems... slightly unfair?

3) Can i apply the summer before the second year of my second degree?

4) I am supported financially on this, and really do want this. My only concern is if this is the right way to go about it (ie. this will be ok as an application). I need to do massive GPA repair and this is the fastest, most efficient, and financially smart pathway for me to take, but only if its acceptable. 

Please let me know and thank you everyone!

39 minutes ago, Autumn41 said:

Hi everyone, 

I was looking for someone who has second degree experience with applications and tips/info on some of my questions, or knows someone who can help. I have contacted the schools but gotten some vague answers as replies, so I am unsure as to what to do. Essentially, my cGPA from my first degree is pretty awful (6.8/7.4/5.4/7.4/8.4 per year breakdown on uOttawa's scale), okay MCAT (130/125/130/129, likely retake for CARS) and I am looking to do a second degree. I found what I wanted to do later than most others so its my price to pay but I will work on it. Here is the dilemma: first degree was in BCH, second will be in BPS, with the courses carrying over, my second degree will take 2 years to complete. I can keep the 3rd year level or higher reqs for Western. But here is the problem/problems:

1) clearly most of my bad grades are early on, which are also the ones that carry over in terms of degree requirements. UO says on my transcript, a new cGPA will be part of the second degree based on the classes I take. Will schools see these on applications? Will they affect me negatively?

2) Is 2y enough for a second degree? most schools just say "we accept second degrees as long as they are equivalent to a 4y degree", but I am literally cutting it in half and the school will only use grades for 2y to give me a cGPA. This seems... slightly unfair?

3) Can i apply the summer before the second year of my second degree?

4) I am supported financially on this, and really do want this. My only concern is if this is the right way to go about it (ie. this will be ok as an application). I need to do massive GPA repair and this is the fastest, most efficient, and financially smart pathway for me to take, but only if its acceptable. 

Please let me know and thank you everyone!

You probably should email the schools you want to apply to. Only this way you can have a reliable answer. Good luck!