Premed 101 Forums

Applying in med as an engineer with 3.5 cGPA

eng2dmd

Hi all,

I have completed a bachelor's degree in engineering at UdeM with an overall GPA of 3.50/4.0, and some industry experience. I am considering applying next year in dentistry/medicine at McGill, however I'm not sure if my GPA is competitive enough for these two programs. I'd like to know what you think and if you have stories about people getting in with a GPA similar to mine.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, eng2dmd said:

Hi all,

I have completed a bachelor's degree in engineering at UdeM with an overall GPA of 3.50/4.0, and some industry experience. I am considering applying next year in dentistry/medicine at McGill, however I'm not sure if my GPA is competitive enough for these two programs. I'd like to know what you think and if you have stories about people getting in with a GPA similar to mine.

Thanks!

Hey so it's likely on the lower end and is uncommon at McGill, but not unheard of. It's only 60% of the decision for Dentistry and 63% of the decision for Medicine at McGill. As long as you make up for it through the non-academic criteria worth 30% (CVPN for Dent, CV for Med and then the CASPer), you could become competitive enough. Also, if you are enrolling in a Master's degree next Fall, that would probably boost your academic context score (worth 10% and 7% respectively). Once you get the interview, it's no longer your GPA, but your performance in the pre-requisites that counts for 20% and then MMI for 80%.