Premed 101 Forums

GPA Rounding -Help

Hello.

I know Dal calculates your last 2 year GPA but am confused as to whether I would be eligible as a OOP.

Y1-3.4

Y2 -3.2

Y3 - 3.68 (<- would this round to 3.7 to meet their minimum? or would I be disqualified)

Y4 - 3.86

Does any OOP student have experience similar to mine?

Thanks for the help

I have a similar question so I will ask it here: 

Would a 3.88 round up to a 3.9, and a 3.97 to a 4.0? These would be for my first two years, and I am currently in third year with a 3.98 in first semester and thinking about whether I should stress about getting to as close to 4.0 as possible for the year or if 3.96 or even 3.95 would be enough to be technically considered 4.0 after round up. These GPA values are on OMSAS scale. 

In the final calculation, say that I apply after I finish undergrad, and they calculate my 1st, 2nd and 3rd year, would this be an overall of GPA of 4.0 since my cGPA for those years would be 3.967?

As well, does anyone know how 3.9-4.0 would be calculated out of the 15 points allocated for GPA? 

43 minutes ago, Eskimolimon said:

I have a similar question so I will ask it here: 

Would a 3.88 round up to a 3.9, and a 3.97 to a 4.0? These would be for my first two years, and I am currently in third year with a 3.98 in first semester and thinking about whether I should stress about getting to as close to 4.0 as possible for the year or if 3.96 or even 3.95 would be enough to be technically considered 4.0 after round up. These GPA values are on OMSAS scale. 

In the final calculation, say that I apply after I finish undergrad, and they calculate my 1st, 2nd and 3rd year, would this be an overall of GPA of 4.0 since my cGPA for those years would be 3.967?

As well, does anyone know how 3.9-4.0 would be calculated out of the 15 points allocated for GPA? 

Both of those would round up! Their GPA entries are rounded to 1 decimal place across the board.

In terms of the point allocation, unless they've changed it, it goes like this:

4.0 = 15/15 

3.9 = 14/15 

3.8 = 13/15

etc.... Hope this helped!

30 minutes ago, squeekz07 said:

Both of those would round up! Their GPA entries are rounded to 1 decimal place across the board.

In terms of the point allocation, unless they've changed it, it goes like this:

4.0 = 15/15 

3.9 = 14/15 

3.8 = 13/15

etc.... Hope this helped!

Thanks. Do you have any insight about MCAT calculations? I am aware that a minimum of 493 or so would make me eligible, but how bad would a score like that look? As less emphasis is placed on MCAT, I am trying not to overdo it, but still want to get a respectable score. It seems like it is really just used as a cutoff now. I am debating on studying for 2 months (May/June) then write in July while working in a lab (July/August) that I have been working at for the past two summers. Or if I should just focus on MCAT/essays/casper to be safe.

As well, does anyone have any insight on how an honours degree is valued? I am not sure if it is worth pursuing it, but it will be an interesting experience during fourth year if I do. I also don't want to burn out in my final year of undergrad as it has been intense three years of academic/varsity athletics/leadership positions/research/volunteering. 

Sorry to hijack this post. If these questions are more suitable on other forums let me know. 

edit: I am an NB resident if that matters.

2 hours ago, Eskimolimon said:

Thanks. Do you have any insight about MCAT calculations? I am aware that a minimum of 493 or so would make me eligible, but how bad would a score like that look? As less emphasis is placed on MCAT, I am trying not to overdo it, but still want to get a respectable score. It seems like it is really just used as a cutoff now. I am debating on studying for 2 months (May/June) then write in July while working in a lab (July/August) that I have been working at for the past two summers. Or if I should just focus on MCAT/essays/casper to be safe.

As well, does anyone have any insight on how an honours degree is valued? I am not sure if it is worth pursuing it, but it will be an interesting experience during fourth year if I do. I also don't want to burn out in my final year of undergrad as it has been intense three years of academic/varsity athletics/leadership positions/research/volunteering. 

Sorry to hijack this post. If these questions are more suitable on other forums let me know. 

edit: I am an NB resident if that matters.

In terms of the MCAT scoring, I know that the breakdown is similar to that of the GPA, where a certain range of MCAT scores equates to a score out of 10 (ie. a 507-512 = 8/10, hypothetically).  As such, a 493 would allow you to apply, but you would probably end up with a fairly low score/10.  In terms of what to do for studying/focusing on the MCAT this summer, it all depends on you, how familiar are you with the material on it, etc. I personally took 3 months to study for it while working part-time and did respectably.  

In terms of an honours degree, I don't believe having the honurs' degree on its own makes much difference, however the opportunities that could arise from doing one (conferences, publications, the ability to pursue gradate studies, etc.) is where most of the value comes from.  

I hope that that all makes sense & is somewhat helpful!