Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19 Impact on Electives and Clerkships

On 5/6/2020 at 7:22 PM, Darkchrono said:

Just received this afternoon that university of Montreal is delayed till June 15. 

McGill just informed the same! at the earliest June 15th and it'll be probably an asymmetrical reintroduction because of capacity issues (so some people will be on some off). so crazy! 

19 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

McGill just informed the same! at the earliest June 15th and it'll be probably an asymmetrical reintroduction because of capacity issues (so some people will be on some off). so crazy! 

They also told us that the reintroduction could be at different times depending on the situation meaning a part of students could be delayed more

10 hours ago, Darkchrono said:

They also told us that the reintroduction could be at different times depending on the situation meaning a part of students could be delayed more

yeah exactly, so people in the IM/surg stream at mcgill likely won't be going back june 15th, where as peds/ob/fam/psych potentially could or could get oriented to telemedicine. they also said they're looking into online learning for clerkship now (are any other schools doing this?). it just seems like Montreals cases aren't slowing, I don't know why they just didn't agree on july from the get go as it seems it's where it's headed. As usual, the most optimistic but the least logical, i love quebec. 

2 hours ago, bellejolie said:

yeah exactly, so people in the IM/surg stream at mcgill likely won't be going back june 15th, where as peds/ob/fam/psych potentially could or could get oriented to telemedicine. they also said they're looking into online learning for clerkship now (are any other schools doing this?). it just seems like Montreals cases aren't slowing, I don't know why they just didn't agree on july from the get go as it seems it's where it's headed. As usual, the most optimistic but the least logical, i love quebec. 

Ottawa is doing online learning now :) 2 weeks per rotation that we have remaining (so 8 weeks total) as our remaining rotations will be 4 weeks instead of 6 when we do go back in July. Our faculty has been super awesome with all of this, and the online learning has been really good so far! 

3 hours ago, bellejolie said:

Quebec hasn't tested any community cases since April. The first WHO criterion to re-open cities is to have the transmission under control. Since we have no community data from April, we don't really know if transmission is under control. 

Now on the other end, if we keep the quarantine going, people will gather at parks (I've never seen so many people at the parks at the same time), bbqs, etc. simply because they have nothing better to do, so perhaps it is better for "social distancing" to do the déconfinement.

Anyways, my prediction is that the transmission will increase with the déconfinement, will continue during the entire summer but will be under control, and then in the fall when conditions are better for the viruses survival and transmission - BOOM: covid + influenza come back in full force and we'll have to quarantine again just to stay keep things under control.

I don't see non-essential hospital services going back to full capacity any time soon.

55 minutes ago, HappyAndHopeful said:

Ottawa is doing online learning now :) 2 weeks per rotation that we have remaining (so 8 weeks total) as our remaining rotations will be 4 weeks instead of 6 when we do go back in July. Our faculty has been super awesome with all of this, and the online learning has been really good so far! 

Seem to be a good plan! Thanks for sharing! Hope to get something similar instead of not knowing when we will restart! 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, HappyAndHopeful said:

can you describe this? do you have any links? would like to submit to our faculty! thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, divinecomedy said:

Multiple specialties (e.g. medicine, EM) in the US are outright discouraging or not allowing away electives this year in accordance with public health guidance. I think it's likely that institutions in Canada will follow suit.

Yup super unlikely we’re going to have away electives I agree. 

55 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

Yup super unlikely we’re going to have away electives I agree. 

Agreed, I am having a hard time envisioning a scenario where students get to leave their school. It will be interesting to see how they handle places with multiple medical schools in a province - at UBC for example, we have one school with sites all over BC, so I imagine ‘away’ electives within the province could be allowed. They’ll be necessary really, or there won’t be capacity for us.

But how will that work somewhere like Ontario with multiple schools in the same province? I imagine many students would cry foul if some students got to visit other schools because they happen to be in the same province, while others can’t. 

1 hour ago, chateau22 said:

How will this work for NOSM if away electives are taken away? I don't think they offer electives in every specialty? 

In the US, exceptions are made if your home institution doesn't offer certain specialties. I would imagine whatever decisions they come to in the end, NOSM students will be well taken care of.

3 hours ago, Haribo7173 said:

Our assistant dean told us visiting electives will likely be replaced by home electives for all schools and that exceptions would be made for schools that don’t offer every specialty (intraprovincial electives would then be a possibility). 

that is good or some programs would be at quite a disadvantage in CARMS. 

Next year certainly is going to be a bit strange!