Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19 Impact on Electives and Clerkships

5 minutes ago, WeDayDream said:

Most likely visiting electives will not be happening for the class of 2021. 

How do class of 2021 students feel about this?

Mixed feelings - I totally understand the reasoning and support the decision, and happy fourth year won’t be as expensive. Selfishly, disappointed that it means I won’t be able to do any electives back home where family is, or in locations and specialties I would probably never have the chance to do again in the future. Also wondering how this will impact the prospect of getting letters. I imagine people will have a much bigger variety of elective experiences (in terms of specialty, since it seems unlikely to do 8 weeks of one specialty in the same city?) even if applying to competitive specialties?

1 hour ago, WeDayDream said:

Most likely visiting electives will not be happening for the class of 2021. 

How do class of 2021 students feel about this?

honestly i had some good away electives lined up and am sad about that, but now everyone is in the same boat so it's hard to complain. they're doing what they can. for now, i'm just glad we're still slated to graduate on time. i know people interested in more competitive specialties are definitely freaking out though. especially if your home school has only one spot and there are like 5 people competing for it.  

On 6/10/2020 at 12:31 PM, bellejolie said:

honestly i had some good away electives lined up and am sad about that, but now everyone is in the same boat so it's hard to complain. they're doing what they can. for now, i'm just glad we're still slated to graduate on time. i know people interested in more competitive specialties are definitely freaking out though. especially if your home school has only one spot and there are like 5 people competing for it.  

Totally agree. I definitely think this situation will help some and hurt others. I truly think showing commitment to a given specialty (especially smaller competitive ones) may be looked at more favourably and may bear more weight when it comes to securing interviews across Canada since they may have to look more at the C.V. this year (I have heard in some smaller surgical specialties that the C.V. is not even read by staff, and mostly residents).

I started at the hospital! I’m in OB so hasn’t really been affected by Covid much. Also not everyone wears masks all the time which is a bit weird. Seems protocols change a lot. Volume of deliveries is the same obvi (people don’t stop having babies lolzzzz). Overall enjoying it a lot and defo happy to be back. Super tired tho I totally got used to being on vacation. Also OB is nuts like my entire body is just sore. aLSO rumour has it AFMC is gonna ratify a decision where class of 2021 doesn’t get away electives. We expected this. Oh well. Woulda been nice to meet some of ya! 

I'm in the same boat. My school doesn't offer an elective that I really want to do and I reached out to AFMC via e-mail. I will let you know if I get anymore info. If you find anything out about this please let me know. Thanks!

3 hours ago, divinecomedy said:

How do we go about applying for an exemption? It isn't exactly clear from what was posted.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:06 PM, racoon said:

Any students who have started who can share what it's been like to be back? Anyone on surgery? 

I wrote a response earlier. I’m in OB and it’s been fine and great. Very low risk. They test all patients and there’s no lack of PPE or anything. You get a mask a day and basically just go about the same usual business just wearing a mask most of the time! Same duties as before covid just with a mask. OB was generally unaffected. There are less clinics and the schedule had to shift because many outpatient and elective surgeries were cancelled but things are picking up again and babies don’t really choose when to be born pandemic or not so it’s felt pretty normal to be honest! 

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, AAAmeds said:

Have there been any talks of pulling out med students from rotations at any of the schools in Canada given the exponential rise in cases?

None that I’ve heard so far... fingers crossed it stays that way. One of our directors said that unless things become mayhem, pulling us again is not on the table right now, especially with more stable PPE supplies and procedures in place. 

On 11/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, AAAmeds said:

Have there been any talks of pulling out med students from rotations at any of the schools in Canada given the exponential rise in cases?

Friend in Manitoba stated they won't be pulled under any circumstance and will push through. However, he stated there is talk in the provincial government out there to pull them if students and residents start going down with COVID en masse. Already know of a few cases so you never know...