Premed 101 Forums

Odds of transferring to a program at home school that you did not match to?

As the title suggests, let’s say that I matched to a program that I ranked lower than my top choice, however I would still like to pursue a career in said top choice, what is my best way of going about this? Am I doomed to complete a residency in a speciality that I don’t see as fulfilling? Would I even be able to transfer to a program at my home school that did not rank me presumably?

Depends whether they did not rank you at all, or simply did not rank you high enough for you to match there before the program filled with other higher-ranked candidates who wanted to go there.

If they didn't rank you at all, then they aren't going to accept you in transfer... sorry.

If you were considered a decent candidate but just not their most favourite, it might be possible in the rare circumstance someone else in the cohort leaves the program. Your chances would be minimally better if you would be willing to transfer to another school should something open up.

3 hours ago, carmsthrowaway2202 said:

As the title suggests, let’s say that I matched to a program that I ranked lower than my top choice, however I would still like to pursue a career in said top choice, what is my best way of going about this?

There is an official transfer process that you can apply to but it depends on a lot of factors, you have to start your matched program and can apply after a few months. Your odds will be better if you're transferring from a more competitive to less competitive specality, if you're in a province with multiple schools, if you're willing to transfer anywhere into the other specialty, if you can directly appeal to your target program, etc. What I mean that it's easier to go from optho to family than the other way around.

Am I doomed to complete a residency in a speciality that I don’t see as fulfilling?

Not helpful for you now but for others who might be reading this, why did you rank it if you don't see it as fulfilling?

You can apply in the second round of CaRMS in future years for any unmatched spots, competing with the general unmatched pool, with or without withdrawing from your current residency. Obviously this doesn't help if you want anything remotely competitive.

Would I even be able to transfer to a program at my home school that did not rank me presumably?

The transfer progress is independent of CaRMS, weather or not you have a chance at transfer is independent from them ranking you, although theoretically if you were ranked highly but just barely didn't match they might be more inclined to accept you than if they didn't want you in the first place, all else being equal.

3 hours ago, Oliveoil said:

Does another candidate must leave the program?

The program would need funding and capacity. Funding doesn't cross provincial boundaries but if you're transferring at the same school that's not a problem. If you're going from 5 year to 5 year residency that makes it easier but if you are in family or another shorter specialty then you will need to find additional years of funding somewhere. Capacity usually isn't a huge problem for programs unless its its a giant program and already feeling the squeeze, or a very small program.

3 hours ago, Oliveoil said:

the transfer would be in PGY 2 anyway ? 

Technically it doesn't have to be, but realistically most transfers won't take place till then.

I know ON actually has a government sponsored re-entry program for those who already finished 1 residency. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but let's say someone matched to FM as backup, they could still have a chance of re-matching into a 5 year program after 2 years of FM residency and working 1 year (3 years total).

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/hhrsd/physicians/reentry.aspx

44 minutes ago, shikimate said:

I know ON actually has a government sponsored re-entry program for those who already finished 1 residency. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but let's say someone matched to FM as backup, they could still have a chance of re-matching into a 5 year program after 2 years of FM residency and working 1 year (3 years total).

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/hhrsd/physicians/reentry.aspx

That's a good option for people who still feel strongly about their original specialty after the match and finishing FM.