Premed 101 Forums

No match - plastic surgery

On 4/21/2020 at 10:17 PM, MDinCanada said:

I don't think this is very feasible.

People would rather go to a derm/plastic surgeon for cosmetics, and they can do so without being placed on a waitlist.

Also, skin cancer excision and biopsies are not worth it because  the cost of the materials is higher than what you can bill for it. This is not lucrative even for the derms/plastic surgeons, you'd have to get payed derm or plastic surgery consultation numbers to make up for it.

Agree with this,

In BC at least, lumps and bumps for GP's is remunerated extremely poorly, and that doesn't take into consideration the money GP's have to pay for equipment, sterilization etc...  Prior to covid, I had slowly been decreasing the amount of lumps and bumps, it is just so much easier to refer to plastics/derm.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:27 PM, procrastinating said:

Kind of an aside, but does quality matter when going for more competitive specialties or is it a purely quantity game? Doesn't take a PhD to know that 10 reviews/opinion pieces is not the same as 10 basic science or original projects ... 

Its more about the connections you build along the way. Sure 10 case reports/SRs/litreviews/opinion pieces does not take the same amount of time, but if you do that all during med school on top of a strong workload, most surgeons see that you are really productive, not only that but through those 10 research projects you probably got connected with a whole lot of doctors who now like you because you helped their career out too. Like it or not, most clinical research is junk, its you yelling your opinion into space and me yelling mine and you not listening to me and just yelling yours and me not listening and yelling mine and this cycle doesn't stop. The real answer may be as simple as, A and B are about the same and yet this need to keep yelling is what gets staff their promotions and what gets med students their residency. Cold truth but thats what i've seen..