Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Do you need the MCAT to go to Med school in Australia?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am currently in my last year of undergrad and am considering all my med school options. 

Do I need to take the MCAT if I want to go to med school in Australia? I know there are some programs that do not require the MCAT but they are 6 years. Would I be able to skip 2 years since I already have the pre-req courses? 

My apologies if this has already been answered, I am new to the forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Not all Australian medical schools require the MCAT. 

I work for the University of Tasmania School of Medicine, and we have created a Canadian Pathway - designed for Canadian students who want to study medicine in Australia, and keep their options open and apply for Australian internship as well as Canadian residencies through CARMS. We are a 5yr medical degree, and our Canadian medical graduates will have completed all of the Australian requirements for internship, as well as all Canadian exams, plus completion of their electives at our partner university, Memorial University in Newfoundland. The added bonus is that we don't require the MCAT for admission. 

We use an entrance exam called the ISAT. It is a computer-based 3hr exam designed to assess problem solving skills, rather than science knowledge. It is designed to be taken without studying, as the goal of the exam is to give us a profile of how your brain critically appraises and solves problems. It can be taken at most testing centres in North America. Our Canadian applicants this year were able to take the exam in Canada, so it seems that Covid has not limited exam centre availability, which has been reassuring for applicants. 

Bit of background: I am a Canadian, (from Edmonton,) and completed my medical degree in Australia, graduating in 2013, and now hold dual licensure (Family Medicine) in Australia and Canada. The process of holding dual licensure was difficult for me, only because I didn't have a guide in how to do it. It really doesn't have to be that difficult, and the aim of our program is to streamline the process of medical education for Canadians who want to keep their options open.  

I hope this information is helpful and I hope you pursue medicine. It is certainly the best thing I have ever done. 

Bailey

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:35 AM, bzora said:

Not all Australian medical schools require the MCAT. 

I work for the University of Tasmania School of Medicine, and we have created a Canadian Pathway - designed for Canadian students who want to study medicine in Australia, and keep their options open and apply for Australian internship as well as Canadian residencies through CARMS. We are a 5yr medical degree, and our Canadian medical graduates will have completed all of the Australian requirements for internship, as well as all Canadian exams, plus completion of their electives at our partner university, Memorial University in Newfoundland. The added bonus is that we don't require the MCAT for admission. 

We use an entrance exam called the ISAT. It is a computer-based 3hr exam designed to assess problem solving skills, rather than science knowledge. It is designed to be taken without studying, as the goal of the exam is to give us a profile of how your brain critically appraises and solves problems. It can be taken at most testing centres in North America. Our Canadian applicants this year were able to take the exam in Canada, so it seems that Covid has not limited exam centre availability, which has been reassuring for applicants. 

Bit of background: I am a Canadian, (from Edmonton,) and completed my medical degree in Australia, graduating in 2013, and now hold dual licensure (Family Medicine) in Australia and Canada. The process of holding dual licensure was difficult for me, only because I didn't have a guide in how to do it. It really doesn't have to be that difficult, and the aim of our program is to streamline the process of medical education for Canadians who want to keep their options open.  

I hope this information is helpful and I hope you pursue medicine. It is certainly the best thing I have ever done. 

Bailey

Will the school accept the MCAT as replacement for ISAT? Is there a testing location in Alaska? How are visas for Americans? Do people bring their families with them easily? (2 dual citizen kids and 1 American husband, I keep wondering how much of a headache that would be) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on where you want to go.

If you want to go to a 4-year graduate entry MD program, e.g. Melbourne, Sydney, Western Australia, ANU, then you need to take the MCAT, or better yet, the GAMSAT exam.

If you want to go a 5-year MBBS program (intended for high school graduates) e.g. Monash, or Tasmania, then you need to take the ISAT.

Both MBBS and MD are deemed equivalent in the Australian system, but I don't know if MD is preferred in North America if you choose to come back after. Visa is achievable and your spouse and children can come under your student visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Hi i am in my final year of Bachelors degree I was considering applying to Monash I am studying in New York at the moment are there any other schools I can apply right too that do not require the MCAT, maybe in Sydney or somewhere in NSW. It will be great help if you can answer this  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:32 AM, Maham khan said:

Hi i am in my final year of Bachelors degree I was considering applying to Monash I am studying in New York at the moment are there any other schools I can apply right too that do not require the MCAT, maybe in Sydney or somewhere in NSW. It will be great help if you can answer this  

Hey Monash and Sydney both require the MCAT. I am not aware of any Australian schools that don't require the MCAT other than if you were to enter straight out of high school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sally1999 said:

Hey Monash and Sydney both require the MCAT. I am not aware of any Australian schools that don't require the MCAT other than if you were to enter straight out of high school.

Monash does not require the MCAT for their graduate entry 4 year MD program https://oztrekk.com/programs/medicine/monash-university-bachelor-of-medical-science-doctor-of-medicine-graduate-entry/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very careful about relying on going to Australia. The border is presently closed to most student visas. There are 45000 Aussie citizens stranded abroad who cannot get flights home. A fiend of mine is in vet medicine at Melbourne and stranded in North America due to the border closure/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...