Premed 101 Forums

Peds elective at Sick Kids - general or subspec?

I have the option of a general inpatient peds elective or peds heme onc elective at SickKids. I am a visiting student and U of T peds is definitely high on my list for preferred residency programs, partly because I would really like to be home with my family. I guess this means a reference letter is very important for this elective. I've heard gen peds is better because you get to meet residents, gen peds faculty etc who are involved in the selection process. However I worry that it's harder to stand out and do well on a big team and I'm worried about having to compete with a bunch of other students if it's a CTU elective (is it CTU? Can anyone confirm?)

Heme onc is cool because it's just one area to learn about, instead of literally everything like it would be in gen peds, but I worry the pts might be too complex for my level and it'll be harder to excel. Also worried about the fact that there are fellows, residents etc so not sure how much I'll get to do/learn.

Has anyone done these electives? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

39 minutes ago, _gettingthere_ said:

I have the option of a general inpatient peds elective or peds heme onc elective at SickKids. I am a visiting student and U of T peds is definitely high on my list for preferred residency programs, partly because I would really like to be home with my family. I guess this means a reference letter is very important for this elective. I've heard gen peds is better because you get to meet residents, gen peds faculty etc who are involved in the selection process. However I worry that it's harder to stand out and do well on a big team and I'm worried about having to compete with a bunch of other students if it's a CTU elective (is it CTU? Can anyone confirm?)

Heme onc is cool because it's just one area to learn about, instead of literally everything like it would be in gen peds, but I worry the pts might be too complex for my level and it'll be harder to excel. Also worried about the fact that there are fellows, residents etc so not sure how much I'll get to do/learn.

Has anyone done these electives? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would try to spend time with people who are gonna be on the selection committee. Also, would general peds give you a better idea of what the program is like overall vs. a subspecialty elective?

• 1 month later...

I'd go with inpatient. After all, you are checking them out too! If you want to do peds there, this will be your life for 3 years. Med students can stand out if they are diligent and hard-working. The residents and fellows you interact with will give feedback to the attending without a doubt. I always ask my residents to informally evaluate med students on our service. 

Yeah sick kids general inpatient peds is CTU. There will definitely be Toronto core clerks on service, but a good chunk of the time, you'll be the only elective student so you'll still have an opportunity to impress. The CTU is pretty much run by the fellows there, so you won't actually interact with the staff too much, but the fellow and the staff talk often and the fellow will definitely contribute significantly to your reference and eval. Wouldn't recommend subspecialty peds for the reasons you cited; most sickkids patients who require subspecialty care have extremely rare conditions that might be primarily managed by the residents and fellows.