Premed 101 Forums

Online Interview Annouced due to COVID 19

So now it's a 45 minute panel interview... any ideas on what types of questions it'll be? Will it still be MMI style, or all completely on the spot personal questions?

Really frustrated with this right now, but wholeheartedly agree with the measures that are being taken to protect everyone and to contain the virus as early on as possible. It's tough to deal with, but show your resilience as a strong applicant!

12 minutes ago, fymg1103yxy said:

Just receive another email for update...seems like MMI turned into complete panel. I am EVEN more frustated now!

I think it's still a decent way to go, considering the circumstances. There's just more uncertainty as we don't k now the exact setup like we would for MMIs!

Just now, Yep said:

I think it's still a decent way to go, considering the circumstances. There's just more uncertainty as we don't k now the exact setup like we would for MMIs!

I do agree with your point, I am just a little frustated because they are not too clear in the email. It very hard to tell what is going to happen which is adding more the already stressful situation. I can see it might be a hard for them to be more specific since they might not even have the time to figure out the details themselves yet, but I really hope they can provide more guidence, as I have mention before.

9 minutes ago, burneraccount909 said:

Don't love the switch to an all panel-style interview but their hands are tied... I find it weird how she didn't mention that we will need a webcam in her email. Does this mean that the interview won't have a visual component? 

As far as I know, Zoom is a videoconference platform so you will more than likely be required to have a webcam

12 minutes ago, Yep said:

As far as I know, Zoom is a videoconference platform so you will more than likely be required to have a webcam

I've used Zoom a lot for work and we use it like we're talking on the phone with no video. Seems like a pretty important detail to omit when she did discuss microphones and speakers... guess we will find out by Saturday.

14 hours ago, RiderSx said:

My last point which I think is also important: I don’t believe a mass virtual interview of 500 people will be fair.

Actually this is the least important factor. Being "fair" is more a side goal of the process. The primary goal is to select good future doctors for Albertans. If they feel they can achieve this goal through virtual interviews then it makes more sense to take that route and not expose anyone to unnecessary risk. Especially since many of the things you mentioned (schools, gatherings over 250+ people) are being shut down by governments across this country.

The truth is that most people who make it to the interview stage will make good doctors. They only need to weed out the bad people, which is definitely doable virtually. If some good candidates lose out, as long as everyone they do choose are solid they will still be satisfied.

15 hours ago, burneraccount909 said:

I've used Zoom a lot for work and we use it like we're talking on the phone with no video. Seems like a pretty important detail to omit when she did discuss microphones and speakers... guess we will find out by Saturday.

I've also used Zoom and there was a visual component. It was essentially like Skype. I hope they give us more details soon!! 

12 minutes ago, gniyonna said:

Does anyone think the interview will account for less now that they’ve changed the format and shortened it? Has anyone asked admissions?

I also think it could be worth less since it's now shorter and doesn't have the typical strengths of an MMI. Hopefully they'll let us know soon but doubt it since we don't even know what the interview is worth now. 

20 minutes ago, PlsLetMeIn02 said:

I also think it could be worth less since it's now shorter and doesn't have the typical strengths of an MMI. Hopefully they'll let us know soon but doubt it since we don't even know what the interview is worth now. 

I bet you they also have no idea what the interview is worth now

It appears everyone is getting an invite to a session the evening before their interview date.

Still no explanation, but if they did this for all days, it may simply be an attempt to create a pre-interview social/info session. The UofA knows people get multiple offers, and probably wants to expose applicants (in a non infectious disease spreading manner) to their current students to try and answer questions/encourage them to attend the UofA. 

The invitation for this evening is described as simply an informal get-together with some Y1 students. I presume this replaces the socials that were planned.

I’m upset about the change of format. I’ve flown in from another province and I was really looking forward to the MMI experience. However, it’s important that we keep the big picture in sight. No one who works in admissions will have wanted to move to online interviews, because you get a much better feel for a candidate in person. This change is a response to the Alberta government’s request that all gatherings of at least 50 people involving critical infrastructure staff be cancelled. This would of course include medical school interviews, as many physicians and residents are involved. The situation is evolving very quickly, as we can tell from the about-face in Wednesday’s emails. I don’t envy anyone who works in the admissions office these days - I’m sure they’re scrambling to rearrange everything.

So does anyone know how to use Zoom and how to actually start our interview tomorrow? I wasn't able to attend the event tonight, so I didn't get a test run. I have downloaded Zoom and made an account using my @uAlberta email but I'm not sure of I need to do anything else or whether it will all be fairly self-explanatory tomorrow...