Premed 101 Forums

Online Interview Annouced due to COVID 19

5 minutes ago, Rusty Verdigris said:

So does anyone know how to use Zoom and how to actually start our interview tomorrow? I wasn't able to attend the event tonight, so I didn't get a test run. I have downloaded Zoom and made an account using my @uAlberta email but I'm not sure of I need to do anything else or whether it will all be fairly self-explanatory tomorrow...

Oops nevermind, I scrolled down to the bottom of the email and found the very helpful instructions!

3 minutes ago, Rusty Verdigris said:

So does anyone know how to use Zoom and how to actually start our interview tomorrow? I wasn't able to attend the event tonight, so I didn't get a test run. I have downloaded Zoom and made an account using my @uAlberta email but I'm not sure of I need to do anything else or whether it will all be fairly self-explanatory tomorrow...

After you've accepted the calendar invite using your UofA email there should be a link to Zoom (located in the Google cal invite). When your online interview time is about to start click on the link and it should take you to the Zoom platform where you'll be able to start your interview.

40 minutes ago, Rusty Verdigris said:

I would definitely suggest testing it out. Ask a friend to download it too and do a practice call/video with them. 

I tried mine this morning and had a lot of trouble with my webcam, but after an hour of troubleshooting it's good to go. My point is, be prepared and make sure its ok before hand!

5 hours ago, coffeeandmed said:

Just an update now that mine is over (only took 30 minutes rather than 45 minutes so I don't know if that's bad???????). My video never ended up working. I tested before hand and it was fine. But be prepared for some technical difficulties lol. '

Definitely panicking because it was not what I expected.  

Can you please clarify what you mean by it not being what you expected? Was it the style of questions that caught you off-guard? Any help you can provide is appreciated!

Honestly, I hope they weigh the interview portion less (given that it's half the length of what it's supposed to be). I feel like it's hard in general to evaluate things like non-verbal communication through webcam bc it's so artifical + technical issues like frame stuttering/pixelation

1 hour ago, notagunner said:

so was your screen just blank to them the entire time? how could they evaluate non-verbal communication (body language, gestures, etc.)

Yes the screen was just black. Audio worked fine for the most part. I was talking the entire time with my hands and gesturing but no one saw except me lol