Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19. Change to online interviews?

31 minutes ago, MCattt said:

Anyone heard from UofT about testing out the technology tomorrow? I was expecting an email back today but haven't received anything. I'm in a different time zone so I don't want to accidentally sleep in on the opportunity 

Didn't hear anything back as well, not even the time when we are supposed to have the interview. They just told me to be ready for the "first half"...

Just received the email. They will give us four questions in four separate emails and we have to use our own technology to upload the videos to UofT ShareFile. I wonder how they will stop people from taking multiple attempts.

EDIT: There's a 15 minute time limit for each question and they said there won't be enough time to "redo your answers". Hmmm... does the timer begin once you click the email? Or do they mean when you click the upload link...

7 minutes ago, premedontario said:

Just received the email. They will give us four questions in four separate emails and we have to use our own technology to upload the videos to UofT ShareFile. I wonder how they will stop people from taking multiple attempts.

I am so confused. Are they going to send us the question inside the email and we have until 1 PM to come up with a response? You could literally meet up with a bunch of people, call up your boys and girls, get feedback on every question then upload your response by the deadline??  Even if people don't cheat, I can guarantee if we have that much time to prepare an answer, everyone will make multiple attempts before uploading their response - and that does NOT test for "competencies" in any way or form similar to how the in-person individuals got interviewed.

1 minute ago, RiderSx said:

I am so confused. Are they going to send us the question inside the email and we have until 1 PM to come up with a response? You could literally meet up with a bunch of people, call up your boys and girls, get feedback on every question then upload your response by the deadline??  Even if people don't cheat, I can guarantee if we have that much time to prepare an answer that everyone will make multiple attempts before uploading their response - and that does NOT test for "competencies" in any way or form similar to how the in-person individuals got interviewed.

exactly - they might as well not even interview 

Just now, RiderSx said:

I am so confused. Are they going to send us the question inside the email and we have until 1 PM to come up with a response? You could literally meet up with a bunch of people, call up your boys and girls, get feedback on every question then upload your response by the deadline??  Even if people don't cheat, I can guarantee if we have that much time to prepare an answer that everyone will make multiple attempts before uploading their response - and that does NOT test for "competencies" in any way or form similar to how the in-person individuals got interviewed.

Man I could make an entire speech in the 4 hours they give us LOL. I don't know how this will work honestly but I think you have to answer all 4 questions within the 9-1 timeframe.

In the email it says:

"Following your recording, you will have approximately 15 minutes to save and upload your recording via the secure weblink included in the email".

Does this mean that we have 15 minutes to upload once we click it? So I could pretty much take 1 hour to answer each question. LOL

1 minute ago, premedontario said:

Man I could make an entire speech in the 4 hours they give us LOL. I don't know how this will work honestly but I think you have to answer all 4 questions within the 9-1 timeframe.

In the email it says:

"Following your recording, you will have approximately 15 minutes to save and upload your recording via the secure weblink included in the email".

Does this mean that we have 15 minutes to upload once we click it? So I could pretty much take 1 hour to answer each question. LOL

It all depends on if the question is posed INSIDE the email. If it is, then the 15 minutes time to save and upload is actually irrelevant. 

Honestly, this is not a proper way to reformat the interview. UofA did an amazing job interviewing 528 applicants 2 days after cancelling the in-person MMIs. It wasn't perfect and there were issues but for them to come up with a virtual panel interview in 2 days was very impressive. They even did a virtual social event within those 2 days. UofT has had weeks, and they only have ~200 remaining candidates to interview. I am sure they could have come up with something better.

It all depends on if the question is posed INSIDE the email. If it is, then the 15 minutes time to save and upload is actually irrelevant. 

Honestly, this is not a proper way to reformat the interview. UofA did an amazing job interviewing 528 applicants 2 days after cancelling the in-person MMIs. It wasn't perfect and there were issues but for them to come up with a virtual panel interview in 2 days was very impressive. They even did a virtual social event within those 2 days. UofT has had weeks, and they only have ~200 remaining candidates to interview. I am sure they could have come up with something better.

i agree - they literally could've skyped each individual candidate or used ZOOM with 4 interviews in one room asking one question + follow up each 

8 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

• You will receive an email with Question 1
  • You will be asked to record a 5-minute response to each question
  • Following your recording, you will have approximately 15 minutes to save and upload your recording via the secure weblink included in the email

By the wording of the email, the email contains the question as well as the link. We have 15 minutes after opening the link I assume.

2 minutes ago, theevilsloth said:

I'm guessing theres a timer that starts after the question is accessed, they said 15 min

"Following your recording, you will have approximately 15 minutes..."

This implies that the 15 minute time interval is AFTER your recording not when you access the question.

Someone should email them and clarify about this. I've already been bombarding them latelyv lol.

This implies that the 15 minute time interval is AFTER your recording not when you access the question.

Someone should email them and clarify about this. I've already been bombarding them latelyv lol.

I just emailed, will get back to ya

48 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Either way, it's not great. If it's 15 minutes after your recording then people will definitely cheat when recording their answers. If it's 15 minutes starting from as soon as you accessed the questions then I'll be very worried about my wifi. 

21 minutes ago, redbeanbun said:

Either way, it's not great. If it's 15 minutes after your recording then people will definitely cheat when recording their answers. If it's 15 minutes starting from as soon as you accessed the questions then I'll be very worried about my wifi. 

You record using your own software, so all they can do is to provide a certain amount of time for you to record AND upload your answer. They have no way of starting a timer after you finish your upload.