Premed 101 Forums

COVID-19. Change to online interviews?

2 minutes ago, tarotea7 said:

maybe they will email us a link with the question, and the link will expire after ~20 min. that could explain the 5 min to record and 15 min to upload part, but if that's the case i really don't know why we would need 4 hours. im throwing hands 

also how are you mac users converting from mov to m4v file?

From the way the e-mail is worded, I think answer on photobooth, save to desktop. Open with quicktime player, export it to 480p. Then go VLC player, convert it from .mov to .mp4 (automatically converts to m4v I believe). Not sure if theres an easier way to do that though lol 

9 minutes ago, tarotea7 said:

maybe they will email us a link with the question, and the link will expire after ~20 min. that could explain the 5 min to record and 15 min to upload part, but if that's the case i really don't know why we would need 4 hours. im throwing hands 

also how are you mac users converting from mov to m4v file?

It seems like at 9am they will send out the link to the first question, at 10am/11am/12pm they send out the links to question 2/3/4. 4 questions for 4 hours.

Just now, theevilsloth said:

It seems like at 9am they will send out the link to the first question, at 10am/11am/12pm they send out the links to question 2/3/4. 4 questions for 4 hours.

that would make sense! do u think we'll have the whole hour to record/upload tho? cuz in the email they said that we won't have time to re-record...

7 minutes ago, GooGooGaGa said:

From the way the e-mail is worded, I think answer on photobooth, save to desktop. Open with quicktime player, export it to 480p. Then go VLC player, convert it from .mov to .mp4 (automatically converts to m4v I believe). Not sure if theres an easier way to do that though lol 

ok thanks! do u think we could also just record with quicktime player (file -> new movie recording) instead of photobooth to save a step?

As someone that interviewed in Feb, I have to say this is some horsesh*t. If they don't make any adjustments to the scoring, they're being mega unfair to those who came in person and had 4 raters glaring them down during the process.

But the biggest issue is cheating, anyone can have friends to help them brainstorm points and you are just parroting answers.

But on the other hand, it is also a bit of a disadvantage to those who are conversational as it's very robotic to just recite an answer and it's less personable. Regardless, there are pros and cons, and they should just make it into a different pool of seats/interviewees altogether. 

2 minutes ago, tarotea7 said:

that would make sense! do u think we'll have the whole hour to record/upload tho? cuz in the email they said that we won't have time to re-record...

My interpretation is that at 9am you receive an email. There is a link inside this email. Once you open the link, a 20 minute timer starts. This link contains the questions, question number, and an online dropbox. You have 20 minutes total to record your 5 minute answer and upload it. At 10am, you receive another question etc.

5 minutes ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

As someone that interviewed in Feb, I have to say this is some horsesh*t. If they don't make any adjustments to the scoring, they're being mega unfair to those who came in person and had 4 raters glaring them down during the process.

But the biggest issue is cheating, anyone can have friends to help them brainstorm points and you are just parroting answers.

But on the other hand, it is also a bit of a disadvantage to those who are conversational as it's very robotic to just recite an answer and it's less personable. Regardless, there are pros and cons, and they should just make it into a different pool of seats/interviewees altogether. 

i would so much rather interview in person - talking to a camera without anyone to ask clarification or feel like you are having a conversation does not make any sense 

this should've been dealt with more sensitivity to applicants and the impact it has on the interview process - given this is already an extremely stressful process. 

2 hours ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

I think it would be highly unlikely that they would compare candidates who interviewed in person to those who interviewed online. They will be assessed separately, with approximately 2/3 of the offers going to those who interviewed in person, and 1/3 to those who did online. 

According to their email it says this: "We will be tallying interview results and comparing these with our in-person interview performance to ensure that all of the same metrics are being used and there is no discrepancy between the evaluation of in-person and video interviews."

There are way too many inherent differences between this interview and the in-person to be comparable- the time of the interview is less than half of the in-person, there are no follow-up/guiding questions, recording ourselves enables the possibility of people re-recording or getting help from friends, etc. I am really concerned of how unfair this could be for the applicant process and they could've been more compromising with live interviews for example.

16 minutes ago, redbeanbun said:

this is a dumb question but why do they recommend video to be between 360 and 480 MB? I get that the file can't be too big but what if it's smaller...? mine is only around 250 MB

i did a  5 min test run and it was 397 MB before exporting to 480p. After it was 124 Mb. Sure its fine either way lol