Premed 101 Forums

Recommendation require for 2nd UG

Hi all,

I need ur suggestions badly...

I did my 1st undergrad n masters from pakistan in commerce with CGPA 3.90 and 3.80 respectively out of 4.00 (assessed by WES,World education system)

Now for 2nd undergrad i choose computer science n will take some science courses optional to complete med school requirement

I applied in Ryerson,York and university of windsor, what should be my choice for getting high CGPA for medical school??

Also will it be a problem for me that i am not doing my 2nd undergrad in any life science discipline??

And can i apply to med school after completing my 2 years in my UG program??

Regards,

K. Siddiqui

Why are you taking a 2nd undergrad ?  Your current undergrad cGPA of 3.9 is competitive at a number of schools.

Most Canadian Med schools other that Ottawa do not have science prerequisites.  You may be able to self-study for the MCAT.

Choose a program that you think you can do well GPA-wise.

Do you have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status ?

I am canadian PR holder.

I applied to second undergrad because here people say that med school will prefer a degree holder from any canadian university

Not from Pakistan...

I am afraid to maintain a good CGPA as now i have three kids (2 toddlers n 1 infant)

So thats why asking which university will be better for me??

You might still be a competitive applicant without doing a 2nd UG. You have a good GPA and having a masters is a huge plus. I think the best bet for you is to call up each school you are interested in to chat with them about your eligibility instead of spending 2 years doing something that might not be necessary. It won't matter if you are doing your undergrad in a different discipline as long as you meet the prerequisite requirements for each school and are comfortable writing the MCAT given your prior knowledge. As for the selection of schooling, thats a difficult question to answer. It is better you talk to people not only in the school you are applying to but also the specific program. 

Also keep in mind that beyond MCAT and GPA, your extra-curriculars also matter. There is a lot of info online. Search up each school and read up on it. Make sure you meet the academic and non-academic criteria. Most med schools require at least 3 years of undergrad so 2 years might not be enough but you are doing your second degree so I am not sure how things will work for you. They could (and most probably will) be very different.

And more importantly, with respect to prepping for the MCAT, there is a section called CARS that might be challenging for someone who doesnt speak English fluently. Not sure if this is a concern for you but definitely something to keep in mind. AGAIN, I want to emphasize that I am not aware of the process for someone who did a degree abroad so it is best you contact the schools directly.

Thank u so much for detailed response

For extra curricular,usually i dont find time, during my 1st undergrad i did a beautician course in one summer break n work in a commercial bank (internship) for other summer break

Before coming to canada i worked for 5 years in central bank of my country as assistant director (grade-17)

Also i started learning french here n finished level 1

Can u suggest how to start preparation of mcat??

Where to start?? Which books??

Do i need to take kaplan course??is it worth the money??

Do u have any slight idea which med school criteria i meet now which current credentials??

I am doing 2nd degree cuz many schools require some pre-requisites

For english, my speaking is moderate just like my writing