Premed 101 Forums

covid 19 and interviews

2 hours ago, short_stack said:

Someone on another site said a family member of theirs interviewed in person during SARS but they moved the location away from Mac’s medical buildings and into a hotel to reduce exposure to cases...

its also a matter of image though. Mac risks looking less compassionate if they force students AND evaluators to do in-person when literally every other school closes and moves online.

very interested to see how this unfolds tbh

1 minute ago, FBCforreal said:

its also a matter of image though. Mac risks looking less compassionate if they force students AND evaluators to do in-person when literally every other school closes and moves online.

very interested to see how this unfolds tbh

Yeah I agree, since I commented my original post, Queens and Western both announced they’re going online. I know UofT pharmacy interviews may move online (they haven’t decided yet) but if they do, it’ll be every school. I’m sure Mac will too now

Just now, short_stack said:

Yeah I agree, since I commented my original post, Queens and Western both announced they’re going online. I know UofT pharmacy interviews may move online (they haven’t decided yet) but if they do, it’ll be every school. I’m sure Mac will too now

And McMaster has the least to worry about too, since they haven't started interviewing yet, so they won't have to deal with the discrepancy between in-person and online evaluation that Queen's and Western have to.

1 minute ago, TheWayIAre said:

And McMaster has the least to worry about too, since they haven't started interviewing yet, so they won't have to deal with the discrepancy between in-person and online evaluation that Queen's and Western have to.

true, but all MMI schools will have the massive discrepancy of not being able to really conduct collab/acting stations. the panel is much easier to simulate

I’m so stressed out. This is such a con, mac is my only interview and I feel devastated. Online interviews are so bad for all the nonverbals, and I feel like collaboration stations are not going to be feasible at all! :(

Does anyone know what Queen’s MMI is like? I know they have regular questions and acting stations, but are there collaboration ones?

3 minutes ago, FBCforreal said:

true, but all MMI schools will have the massive discrepancy of not being able to really conduct collab/acting stations. the panel is much easier to simulate

I think acting stations are still doable because they can have an actor and assessor on camera at the same time on their end. Maybe. 

8 minutes ago, short_stack said:

I’m so stressed out. This is such a con, mac is my only interview and I feel devastated. Online interviews are so bad for all the nonverbals, and I feel like collaboration stations are not going to be feasible at all! :(

Does anyone know what Queen’s MMI is like? I know they have regular questions and acting stations, but are there collaboration ones?

My honest opinion is this:

with in person interviewing, there absolutely is an anxiety hurdle that needs to be overcome. Therein lies one advantage (among a few) for online interviewing. But assuming you get over the nerves and are able to appear personable and confident, there likely is an unspoken advantage to being able to make an impression in person.

Just now, TheWayIAre said:

My honest opinion is this:

with in person interviewing, there absolutely is an anxiety hurdle that needs to be overcome. Therein lies one advantage (among a few) for online interviewing. But assuming you get over the nerves and are able to appear personable and confident, there likely is an unspoken advantage to being able to make an impression in person.

This is how I feel too. NGL I am really bummed, I feel like this turn of events is my game over. I’m still going to try my best to be confident and everything... but there’s so much you can’t assess online. Something as simple as eye contact, greetings, what kind of energy you bring with you. 

1 minute ago, short_stack said:

This is how I feel too. NGL I am really bummed, I feel like this turn of events is my game over. I’m still going to try my best to be confident and everything... but there’s so much you can’t assess online. Something as simple as eye contact, greetings, what kind of energy you bring with you. 

I really wouldn't worry about it. McMaster hasn't started interviewing yet. Everyone's going to be experiencing the same ordeal.

3 minutes ago, short_stack said:

true but all is not lost - I have done a ton of online interviews and we can still get a sense of the above. Not to mention the playing field will still be level at least which will help. You cannot let the format distract you. 

Edited by rmorelan

I really wouldn't worry about it. McMaster hasn't started interviewing yet. Everyone's going to be experiencing the same ordeal.

Yeah, I know. I really feel like some of my best stations were going to be acting and collaboration, and now that might not happen anymore. I have weaknesses in other question types. The online format may just make those weaknesses even more obvious now.

I know I'm catastrophizing but I'm so stressed out right now lol

I didn't get an interview at Mac but I'm curious as to what they're doing for the MMI situation? My Calgary interview was just cancelled completely this morning and I got lucky with my other interviews being earlier on in the cycle :o Are they moving the MacMaster interviews online and if so, how are they doing this for an MMI structure? I'm very curious to see how they implement an MMI style interview online so thank you very much to anyone who replies!

Stay safe guys!

Update from a student who is scheduled to be one of the MMI assessors, we have not heard anything from the university regarding our own clerkship experiences in over a month, we keep being delayed as to hearing whether or not we will continue in our clinical exposure given COVID.

We similarly have not heard how MMI will be formatted, but I want to assure any interviewees that most/many of your assessors are third years like myself who have just finished the CARMS tour. We totally get how nerve wracking this process is, and some people had to do telephone interviews for Memorial due to their ++snow. I know I personally will be doing my best to reassure whoever I'm interviewing of this fact if they are going to be Skype/online.

We know this is a stressful time and remember going through medical school interviews. We are on your side and want you all to do the best you can! Good luck and I might be seeing some of you come interview day!