Premed 101 Forums

March 28/29th interviews are now officially virtual

Would this mean that they’d take half the class from the first weekend and the second half from the second? Seems unfair to have two totally different interview types and to evaluate them as equal? In my opinion, it’s much easier to form a personable impression on someone in person without a barrier that is very much there in a virtual interview 

3 minutes ago, anon98 said:

Would this mean that they’d take half the class from the first weekend and the second half from the second? Seems unfair to have two totally different interview types and to evaluate them as equal? In my opinion, it’s much easier to form a personable impression on someone in person without a barrier that is very much there in a virtual interview 

Not sure, but they will very likely do statistics and make some sort of adjustment if the distribution of interview scores is significantly different between the weekends. Yeah another possibility is taking half the class from each weekend. 

4 minutes ago, anon98 said:

Interviewed last weekend. I really don't think for this interview type that an online interview is going to create much of a barrier between you and the panel interviewers. Its quite a standardized set-up as is and i don't believe its intended to have a super personal and intimate vibe. 

6 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

Interviewed last weekend. I really don't think for this interview type that an online interview is going to create much of a barrier between you and the panel interviewers. Its quite a standardized set-up as is and i don't believe its intended to have a super personal and intimate vibe. 

I also interviewed last weekend, and I do see where you're coming from. It might not make a HUGE differences in scores, but it might lead to subtle changes in scoring. Also it's seriously unfair for those whose internet connections might lag. The markers are also humans, and it's very hard to be impressed if the audio and video keeps cracking. I think that it's fair if they take half the class from one weekend and the other half from the other. 

3 minutes ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

I also interviewed last weekend, and I do see where you're coming from. It might not make a HUGE differences in scores, but it might lead to subtle changes in scoring. Also it's seriously unfair for those whose internet connections might lag. The markers are also humans, and it's very hard to be impressed if the audio and video keeps cracking. I think that it's fair if they take half the class from one weekend and the other half from the other. 

Fair points. However, I do that that half from each weekend is kind of arbitrary. someone posted about adjusting scores and comparing which sounds a bit more reasonable to me but who knows what they will do!

Here's one way they can make it fair. They can allocate equal acceptances for each interview day. 

They can categorize the previously interviewed applicants under 1 pool, say 80% of acceptances, and reserve say 20% acceptances for those who did a virtual MPI. (the 80/20 is just a random guess)

I think its unfortunate but also the concern of going virtual isn't entirely unwarranted. Having to think if you're mic/internet is working okay, having to focus on looking at the webcam and keep your focus there when there are so many distractions around you, not to mention if you have literally no quiet place to do the interview. I mean its a big day, having an in person interview is tough but there are basic things we take for granted that you would need to re consider when doing an online interview. A sucky situation overall :( but hopefully there is a silver lining? 

I don't really know what to think.. this is a highly competitive process. In person vs. virtual interview can make a big difference for some people and that can then impact their chances of getting accepted... especially when the interview is speculated to be the biggest deciding factor in who ultimately gets accepted.

As someone who’s done both types of interviews for investment banking jobs. I personally find virtual interviews to be easier. There are definitely arguments for both cases, but I think having a virtual interview could lead to biases in interviewers assessments. They may feel more sympathetic towards those who have to interview virtually because of the possible complications that go along with that format (bad internet connection, video quality etc.). One solution could be to do a statistical analysis of scores from both types and normalize to adjust for biases. Then standardized scores can be compared. Or put less weight on the interview and more on the aABS. 

I also would say some sort of statistical analysis or potentially not including the interview would likely be the fairest option as it can't really be assumed that candidates are equally divided in quality between the interview dates and times. Additionally, some interviewers may over or underscore applicants  due to these situations but hopefully stats would even this out! This is definitely not a prime situation and has made this cycle something to remember at the very least haha! Hopefully it all works out in a way that is the most fair to everyone and we can all make the best of a crappy situation!!

9 hours ago, bbtlove said:

Maybe they could weigh the interview score slightly less this time around (along with statistical analyses) and instead focus on the lengthy essays and abs ? :(

Focus on essays could be a viable idea. OMSAS abs however has never been a part of the evaluation for Western, I don't think they would or should all of a sudden include it now.

1 hour ago, Zuk said:

Focus on essays could be a viable idea. OMSAS abs however has never been a part of the evaluation for Western, I don't think they would or should all of a sudden include it now.

as someone who went 6 for 8 on the essays, i would be straight-up heartbroken (and kinda pissed)| if the interview (that i already did) was thrown out in favor of reevaluating my already-approved aABS