Premed 101 Forums

Interview Cancelled??

i KNOW that based on my stats (shitty GPA and mediocre CARS), i only got an interview by nailing CASPer. if they choose to evaluate us based solely on the pre-interview formula, i'm screwed. i was SO relying on this chance to prove myself. 

at least i had the chance to interview at 2 schools already. i feel terrible for the applicants who ONLY have mac... i personally know people who have been practicing for a MONTH for their only interview at mac. this is so fucking shitty. i'm so upset.  

This is kind of horrible. McMaster uses Casper, GPA and cars to select ppl for interview ... They don't really have anything but numbers. Atleast for schools like UofT and Western, they can use your essays. 

This is good news for me as I have a high GPA, high cars and high Casper. But man, some ppl are gonna be getting screwed. Maybe they can use the abs or incorporate more of the MCAT (but some ppl only write cars :/).

Idk how this is gonna work for McMaster.

It also makes sense to cancel them. Online mmis sound disastrous. 8 different interviews? A 2 minute break between stations? 

Another option they could have done was to do traditional/panel online interviews which they may not have been prepared for considering how invested they are in mmis 

5 minutes ago, inkbat said:

i KNOW that based on my stats (shitty GPA and mediocre CARS), i only got an interview by nailing CASPer. if they choose to evaluate us based solely on the pre-interview formula, i'm screwed. i was SO relying on this chance to prove myself. 

at least i had the chance to interview at 2 schools already. i feel terrible for the applicants who ONLY have mac... i personally know people who have been practicing for a MONTH for their only interview at mac. this is so fucking shitty. i'm so upset.  

I’m in exactly the same scenario, and I am that person with only 1 interview, only at Mac... I' mcrushed

i hope they do an online interview that is not MMI - MMI would be extremely challenging online and there are so many things that can go wrong technically during this process. 

writing an essay would not be an accurate reflection of your in person social and communication skills. this is going to be extremely interesting how they go about solving this issue 

i have a feeling this is going to disadvantage many applicants :(

Just now, ontariopremed said:

i hope they do an online interview that is not MMI - MMI would be extremely challenging online and there are so many things that can go wrong technically during this process. 

writing an essay would not be an accurate reflection of your in person social and communication skills. this is going to be extremely interesting how they go about solving this issue 

i have a feeling this is going to disadvantage many applicants :(

Do you think they'll be doing any form of interview? They said in the email that "we are reviewing our admissions process" which I took to mean no interviews but some form of file review.

Hoping for the best :(

1 minute ago, MD_endgame said:

Do you think they'll be doing any form of interview? They said in the email that "we are reviewing our admissions process" which I took to mean no interviews but some form of file review.

Yeah I don't think they're doing any interview. That is why they offered the compensation of an auto-invite next cycle (which is kinda cool tbh, but obvs we are all hoping to get in this year)

This is so sad... I've really been practicing 3-4x a week for MMI for the past 1.5 months and trying so hard for those personal questions and working my ass off because I really wanted to get in this year... It's just so sad to have no chance to prove yourself really and for all that work to go to waste. Of course, Mac is doing this in the best interests of all interviewees and interviewers, but as someone who got rejected from Ottawa and Queens, I'm pretty worried about my references/ABS and would be really screwed if they took that into account.

All the best to everyone...

13 minutes ago, MD_endgame said:

i have zero clue how they are going to make this a fair process - also getting an auto-invite for next cycle is fine but as someone currently on a gap year, i don't think that asking someone to wait another year to just get a chance to interview is appropriate 

the process is difficult enough as it is - financially emotionally and personally - throwing these curve balls doesn't help anyone lol 

If their offers of admission are going to be based solely on the pre-interview stats, there is one way I think they might make it somewhat fair: weigh the strongest component of each person's stats (strongest relative to the applicant pool) the most, then the 2nd strongest the 2nd most, and the weakest component the least, to give each applicant a final score. Since to reach the interview all applicants must have done fairly well on their cumulative total GPA, CARS and CASPer.

Also I seriously doubt they won't consider CASPer now. With the interviews gone, CASPer is the sole glimpse into the ethical character of the applicant.

1 minute ago, sk8erboi said:

I have a shit gpa and cars score so they better do 70% casper, 15% cars, 15% gpa

I hope not! That's the thing - no matter how they score it, it's going to be unfair to a significant subset of people. There honestly is no perfect solution here. In my opinion, the fairest thing to do would be to have an online non-MMI interview, but they seemed to have already ruled that out based on the email we were sent.

even changing the weighting of certain metrics will negatively impact some applicants over others - i know i don't have a solution to the problem - but this is an extremely unfortunate situation 

i know globally medical admissions isn't the biggest problem - but for people who have applied time and time again, this process takes a lot out of you - they definitely need to handle this with sensitivity. 

maybe they delay interviews until late may and get back to everyone within 1-2 weeks