Premed 101 Forums

Interview Cancelled??

34 minutes ago, Applicant95 said:

Dude I hope so, but I doubt it (since all Ontario schools coordinate to release on the same day)

That's what I was thinking, but in reality what is the point of holding on to the invites if they're ready. It also benefits us if they are released early so we can start planning for next year.... hmmm who knows

So apparently post-interviewing weighting is normally 70% MMI and 15% each GPA and CARS.

Honestly, I think they'll just substitute the MMI with your CASPer score, so 70% CASPer. One, because it's most convenient. Two, because they're actually kind of similar (both test ethical scenarios station after station with little downtime). And three, because McMaster invented both, so I think they'd understand exactly how reliable the scores are.

I dunno though. Based on their emails all we know is that they're done with MMI; they may decide to conduct online panel interviews or something

5 minutes ago, ejvrei said:

tbh I can't really see this happening, especially with mcmaster who has such an early start compared to other schools

Especially not since all the other ON schools have interviews continuing and will likely be releasing on second Tuesday of May still. Mac is the odd one out here, and they would likely have to go with the other schools’ decisions about the OMSAS release date.

Just now, icymeia said:

I can't see them going 70% Casper considering they didn't even factor in Casper in the normal post-interview score. If anything, I imagine they'll go 33% for Casper, CARS, GPA.

The reason for excluding CASPer is probably because the MMI tests for similar things. Now it makes sense that they will include CASPer (personal opinion)

Just now, icymeia said:

I can't see them going 70% Casper considering they didn't even factor in Casper in the normal post-interview score. If anything, I imagine they'll go 33% for Casper, CARS, GPA.

i think the reason they don't factor CASPer into the post-interview score is that CASPer and the interview are supposed to look for similar traits. without an interview, they may use CASPer as an alternate method of assessing those traits. just a hypothesis though.

2 minutes ago, soam221 said:

In your guys' opinion, should I keep preparing for a potential Mac interview (should there be some sort of online interview)?

it's looking like a complete cancellation, with no online substitute at the moment. if you have nothing 'more pressing' to do, it wouldn't hurt. but i wouldn't bank on Mac looking to hear what we have to say for now :/

11 minutes ago, MDLD said:

Why would they not do Virtual when others schools are? This seems highly unfair for those with average or below average stats. 

They said they will make it as reasonable and fair as possible. Probably means they will be taking into account your CASPer results (which most closely resembles an interview), and not accepting just the ones with highest CARS and GPA scores.

2 minutes ago, icymeia said:

Let's speculate. How do people think they will do this? I say the same as pre-interview scoring.

My speculation is that they will probably weigh your highest stat the most. For me for example, it would be 3X GPA, 2X CASPER, 1X CARS (in order of your strongest to weakest stat).

Or, if they wanted to simulate the post-interview scoring, it would be 70% CASPER and 15% GPA, 15% CARS. 

Who knowssss

Just now, Dippandpip said:

Because the people at Mac designed CASPer to approximate the MMI, I think it'll likely be 50% CASPer, 25% GPA, and 25% CARS. Or it can be 70% CASPer, 15% GPA, and 15% CARS. I would be more inclined towards the former than the latter. 

This is an irrelevant question but do you know if Ottawa weighs CASPer more than McMaster?