Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, premedontario said:

My speculation is that they will probably weigh your highest stat the most. For me for example, it would be 3X GPA, 2X CASPER, 1X CARS (in order of your strongest to weakest stat).

Or, if they wanted to simulate the post-interview scoring, it would be 70% CASPER and 15% GPA, 15% CARS. 

Who knowssss

I think strongest to weakest could be the fairest for everybody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they do forgo interviews entirely and just use pre-intervew stats, I'm looking forward to all the papers in 3-8 from now analyzing the Class of 2023 and their clerkship performance, match performan

.

This is some Friday the 13th shit...

The more speculation we do, the more anxiety we'll feel for the next 2 months, because everyone is going to fervently support the weighting that is most beneficial to themselves.

 

I suggest we all fuck off from this site, block it, and go on with our lives. See y'all in August hopefully, and good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aloeplant said:

The more speculation we do, the more anxiety we'll feel for the next 2 months, because everyone is going to fervently support the weighting that is most beneficial to themselves.

 

I suggest we all fuck off from this site, block it, and go on with our lives. See y'all in August hopefully, and good luck!

I hope they're transparent about it though at least, whatever they decide to do

4 minutes ago, 1234561234 said:

Does anyone think they will consider references or ABS as part of the marking scheme? 

I doubt it but maybe

Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes sense and I think that your weighting system is most fair for all applicants. I think that if any score is uniformly weighed too much more than the others , many people would be disadvantaged as there is no perfect substitute for an interview. At least this way doing poorly on one section won't disqualify you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1234561234 said:

That makes sense and I think that your weighting system is most fair for all applicants. I think that if any score is uniformly weighed too much more than the others , many people would be disadvantaged as there is no perfect substitute for an interview. At least this way doing poorly on one section won't disqualify you. 

Exactly! Otherwise the Class of 2023 will have an average GPA of 3.95 and average CARS of 130 lmao

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, premedontario said:

Exactly! Otherwise the Class of 2023 will have an average GPA of 3.95 and average CARS of 130 lmao

At the same time though, I think they could pull Casper and just use that as a voodoo tool and make that weigh a lot since we don't know how it gets marked, and it is most similar to the MMI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, icymeia said:

At the same time though, I think they could pull Casper and just use that as a voodoo tool and make that weigh a lot since we don't know how it gets marked, and it is most similar to the MMI.

Yeah that makes sense since they would want to keep the average entering stats similar to previous years. Predicting interview performance is definitely hard and I can only guess that CASPer comes closest to doing the job. They probably will weigh CASPer a lot along with a statistical test to account for drastically high/low CARS and GPA scores.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They will perform all those different analysis of applicant parameters you all have mentioned (and possibly more we haven't considered) and compare the lists generated and will pick the list with the least variation (or a combination of everyone's ranking). 

Let's say with method A, Johnny is ranked first, with method B, he's ranked third etc. There's 550 applicants. In method A, he has 550 points, in method B, he has 547 points and they average the points out and create a list. That's the most statistically robust way I can imagine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JamesWhoKnows said:

I imagine that good interviewers would be the ones who gets multiple acceptances and create waitlist movement and now interviews are cancelled. That was my (hopefully wrong) logic.

Interesting take, personally my logical thought process was that those who have multiple interviews would most likely have interviewed. Ottawa, Toronto (predicting 3/4 of people have interviewed here), Western (1/2), Queens (1/2). Additionally, there are online interviews at the last 3 schools mentioned. There is a chance that people will still create movement. You might not see 330/552 again, but I would say 300 is a fair estimate. Many applicants with multiple offers might not choose McMaster as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 987654 said:

If they are going to change their process of selection, then they should be fair with everyone who applied in the first place.  That means people who got rejected should also be considered in this new system of assessment. 

Hmm I don't think so. The pre-interview scoring system still holds true. Those that were rejected pre-interview would have been rejected regardless of the change in the post-interview metric. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's look at the school's perspective. Fairness to applicants is good, but the system is inherently unfair (someone is one tiny letter grade difference in one course away from an interview every year, a couple CARs questions, etc...) In the end, Mac thinks that CARS+GPA+CASPer, capped by an MMI, is a good way to select physicians. Now that they lost their MMI, what's the closest thing they can do now?

I think the option is there, CASPer will be looked at post interview in some way. It was developed as a online MMI, now it gets to live up to it's full potential. 

I would also imagine there won't be a whole lot of waitlist movement changes from last year. In the end, schools have the same number of seats, and planned on interviewing the same number of people. COVID-19 won't affect that. What it may affect is people's willingness to spend the next 3/4+ years of their lives somewhere they've never been. My rank ordering in the middle of my interview list is going to be tougher without site visits, if it comes down to multiple offers. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Let's look at the school's perspective. Fairness to applicants is good, but the system is inherently unfair (someone is one tiny letter grade difference in one course away from an interview every year, a couple CARs questions, etc...) In the end, Mac thinks that CARS+GPA+CASPer, capped by an MMI, is a good way to select physicians. Now that they lost their MMI, what's the closest thing they can do now?

I think the option is there, CASPer will be looked at post interview in some way. It was developed as a online MMI, now it gets to live up to it's full potential. 

I would also imagine there won't be a whole lot of waitlist movement changes from last year. In the end, schools have the same number of seats, and planned on interviewing the same number of people. COVID-19 won't affect that. What it may affect is people's willingness to spend the next 3/4+ years of their lives somewhere they've never been. My rank ordering in the middle of my interview list is going to be tougher without site visits, if it comes down to multiple offers. 

 

I agree. But I also imagine they would be a lot more lenient this year and bring out everyone's strengths since you cannot fully predict one's interview performance based on their CASPer scores. WHY AM I NOT DOING MY ASSIGNMENTS RN UGH

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on how they choose to give out offers will impact the overall class culture. Imagine spending the next four years with classmates who were offered solely based on GPA and CARS- no diversity to bring to bring to group learning, which is what they believe in. Hopefully they’re transparent with us and consider Casper and/or the ABS to a greater extent, because I think it would be something that would impact what school decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ejvrei said:

https://europepmc.org/article/PMC/6681924

This makes me believe that they likely won't use just the pre-interview score

"This indicates that the pre-interview rank is not a strong predictor of whether or not an applicant receives an offer"

Makes sense, and hence the reason they weigh GPA and CARS low post-interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think 50% CASPer, 25% CARS and 25% GPA would make a good amount of sense. CASPer isn't necessarily a direct indicator of how someone may do on the MMI (knowing the right thing to do is very different than being able to effectively communicate that in person) but this still allows many MMI qualities to be looked at. It also allows CASPer to be weighted more than in pre-interview scoring while not weighing it crazily high!! (Also, I am saying this as someone who feels like a good [not amazing] applicant all around but believes CASPer was the weakest part of my pre-interview score just so you all are aware of any bias I may have)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...