Premed 101 Forums

Interview Cancelled??

On 3/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, icymeia said:

I think with 500+ people virtual interviews would be a logistical nightmare

UofA did this with 528 interviewees. My personal experience was very positive with it. I do know some others who had connectivity issues though. They changed the format to a 30 minute virtual panel, however. 

If they do forgo interviews entirely and just use pre-intervew stats, I'm looking forward to all the papers in 3-8 from now analyzing the Class of 2023 and their clerkship performance, match performance, LMCC1 performance, LMCC2 performance, and residency performance, etc. to see what effect in-person interviews has on selecting a medical student, if any.

3 hours ago, bearded frog said:

If they do forgo interviews entirely and just use pre-intervew stats, I'm looking forward to all the papers in 3-8 from now analyzing the Class of 2023 and their clerkship performance, match performance, LMCC1 performance, LMCC2 performance, and residency performance, etc. to see what effect in-person interviews has on selecting a medical student, if any.

Watch them study applicants for the next 6 years, one selection group would do just pre-interview stats, one would use post interview performance and see how much divergence there was. And then 6 years from now it's going to be no interview acceptances. 

3 hours ago, bearded frog said:

If they find no significant differences, do you think they will get rid of interviews altogether?

3 hours ago, RiderSx said:

UofA did this with 528 interviewees. My personal experience was very positive with it. I do know some others who had connectivity issues though. They changed the format to a 30 minute virtual panel, however. 

I feel like McMaster chose to simply cancel the interviews because they didn’t want to switch to a panel one. They know switching to an online panel interview would have been more fair. They knew it would have been feasible since every other school is doing it. 
They simply wouldn’t make the switch because they’ve been promoting the MMIs and CasPer for years since they founded them. A part of me feels they’d rather be unfair over not risking their reputation (and profits). 

3 hours ago, JayKay said:

Watch them study applicants for the next 6 years, one selection group would do just pre-interview stats, one would use post interview performance and see how much divergence there was. And then 6 years from now it's going to be no interview acceptances. 

This would be a fascinating study but I wonder how applicable it will really be. I'd imagine a chunk of Mac's class will also be admitted at in-person interview schools/virtual interview schools but choose Mac. You'd need to filter these people out, which ends up leaving you with less than 206. When you consider how differently Mac selects in comparison to other schools I wonder how generalizable any findings would be to medical school admissions in general. 

3 hours ago, premedontario said:

If they find no significant differences, do you think they will get rid of interviews altogether?

My (personal) opinion is no, because interviews serve many purposes. For one, they familiarize people with the hospital/community. Someone could be sitting in a scenario where they "interviewed" online at multiple schools they've never visited. Would you move to Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Toronto, Hamilton, London, or Kingston without ever having visited for 3-4 years? I would be (and am) hesitant. Virtual tours/meetings can only do so much. Schools want to admit the people they accept, and these tours/visits/opportunities are how they go about doing this. Interviews are also invaluable opportunities to see how well someone interacts in a foreign environment, in-person. IT also tests your in-person communication skills, which I'd say are somewhat important in Medicine. Medicine is also somewhat unique in that the overwhelming majority of accepted applicants will end up working as physicians in the public sector, not ignoring the group who don't finish their MD/don't ever match, so this is in effect "The Job Interview". These physicians are expensive to train, so the provinces would like to make sure they're getting bang for their buck before they let someone in. 

I was having this discussion with a friend who's an L1 (first year Law student) at a school where he was admitted based on his GPA+LSAT (no interview) and he raised the point above about the medical school interview being the big filter step, while in Law firms/government do the filtering because the comparative cost is lower. 

14 hours ago, GooGooGaGa said:

Would the new assessment criteria be something they disclose to us ? 

Hopefully they would. My thinking is, they have to let us know the procedure for how to indicate campus preferences, right? So more updates should be coming, and hopefully the new assessment criteria will be part of these updates 

• 3 weeks later...