Premed 101 Forums

Graduate degree completion date

Do you guys think uoft will be flexible with the graduate degree completion date given the current circumstances? 

By talking to some other graduate students on interview day, it seems that many of the students (including me) are stressed about the June 30 deadline.

And now with schools shutting down, so many things are getting delayed... 

Hi,

I am in my MSc at UBC we have been asked to send our PCR reagents to a local hospital and are in the process of shutting down the lab indefinitely. I truly believe they will remove the deadline as I believe this is well out of our hands as grad students and we may not even be running experiments until end of April. I wouldn't stress about this particular deadline at this point :)

Best of luck! 

Given the circumstances, I think you can be rest assured they’re not going to be hard asses about the deadline. They’re not shutting down classes and clinical activities for their students but expect you to carry on like nothing is going on. Stress less about that, and just keep on living your life until acceptance day. We’re all in this together and it’s new for everyone.

I agree with IMislove. There is no way they can expect graduate students to complete their degrees on an already extremely tight timeline given this situation. What they will actually end up doing to mitigate the situation we will have to wait and see. I could see it being pushed as far as possible into the summer. Just try to do everything you can to complete graduation checklist items such as publications or required meetings via online means (at least that’s what I’m doing hahah). Feel free to PM me if you want :)