Premed 101 Forums

Covid-19 P/F

panko

With this whole situation where students can now choose to go P/F, I was wondering if putting courses P/F this semester due to the circumstances would be detrimental for med school admission.

The thing is we cannot speculate and be in the blur. I propose you to email the med schools you plan on applying to, to ask them to release a statement about their policy towards the new p/f situation and post here if you have an answer. I have already emailed UdeM, Ulaval, Uottawa, Mcgill and Usherbrooke, but I encourage you to email them too to urge them for answers.

Knowing that someone can cover up a C+ with a P while someone else covers up an A-, it becomes impossible to compare transcripts and it could penalize people who didn't take the P option for an otherwise bad grade for fear that it would be harmful to their admission. Not even mentionning people who will cheat on the online finals. We are walking in the dark and this whole situation becomes so unfair that we are entitled to clear guidelines adapted to the new situation to allow us to make decisions.

It might just mean that MCAT and the other aspects of the application will be emphasized more. Grades were never really comparable anyway. That's not to say that MCAT or any of the other methods that medical schools use in their criteria are perfect. I'm just saying that if grades were to be de-emphasized, it wouldn't be a big loss.

3 hours ago, Zuk said:

It might just mean that MCAT and the other aspects of the application will be emphasized more. Grades were never really comparable anyway. That's not to say that MCAT or any of the other methods that medical schools use in their criteria are perfect. I'm just saying that if grades were to be de-emphasized, it wouldn't be a big loss.

In quebec, we don't have the mcat... That said, let's hope it's the case for you guys. We need clear answers!

On 3/21/2020 at 1:57 AM, panko said:

With this whole situation where students can now choose to go P/F, I was wondering if putting courses P/F this semester due to the circumstances would be detrimental for med school admission.

The thing is we cannot speculate and be in the blur. I propose you to email the med schools you plan on applying to, to ask them to release a statement about their policy towards the new p/f situation and post here if you have an answer. I have already emailed UdeM, Ulaval, Uottawa, Mcgill and Usherbrooke, but I encourage you to email them too to urge them for answers.

Knowing that someone can cover up a C+ with a P while someone else covers up an A-, it becomes impossible to compare transcripts and it could penalize people who didn't take the P option for an otherwise bad grade for fear that it would be harmful to their admission. Not even mentionning people who will cheat on the online finals. We are walking in the dark and this whole situation becomes so unfair that we are entitled to clear guidelines adapted to the new situation to allow us to make decisions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 2:57 AM, panko said:

Any updates from any of the universities?