Premed 101 Forums

McGill 2020 Waitlist Support Thread

Osler

20 hours ago, jeebee said:

Anyone else constantly refreshing the waitlist page? I have it bookmarked and I keep checking at least every 30 minutes :(

So much so that I noticed the change in font...

Same here! At least 3 times a day! Even though I’m so far down the list there’s no way it’ll ever move that far! Lol 

But good catch on the font!

21 hours ago, jeebee said:

Anyone else constantly refreshing the waitlist page? I have it bookmarked and I keep checking at least every 30 minutes :(

So much so that I noticed the change in font...

I noticed the font too. It's funny and sad at the same time haha.

Thewaitlist will probably be stagnant until mid May. If it helps you focus on something else. 

What are the school releasing their admission in May, @MEDusa? It seems like a lot of school have already given their admission offers, except from UMontreal maybe?

I m not following this very closely, but I read here and there that some results are out...

There was an offer on the WL today, its at 27 now.

Just now, Lilirose said:

What are the school releasing their admission in May, @MEDusa? It seems like a lot of school have already given their admission offers, except from UMontreal maybe?

I m not following this very closely, but I read here and there that some results are out...

The other 3 med schools in Quebec are releasing their admission on May 13th (Université de Sherbrooke, Université Laval, Université de MontréL)

12 minutes ago, Lilirose said:

10 minutes ago, meddstudent2020 said:

The other 3 med schools in Quebec are releasing their admission on May 13th (Université de Sherbrooke, Université Laval, Université de MontréL)

I second @meddstudent2020 on that and also Ottawa if I am not mistaken which is usually around May the 14th. I don't know about other Canadian universities but I am pretty sure they didn't all release their answers yet. 

Also, the reason why there was a movement today is because one of the candidates posted earlier this week that they gave up their offer for a career change. 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the deadline to accept the offer and pay the deposit has already passed for all the offers that went out on March 25th and the 2nd wave on March 31st. I would expect the next wave of movement from the waitlist to happen at the end of May. Not sure why there was so much movement around April 25th last year to be honest...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think they release invites as seats become available so perhaps they're going to send out a bunch at the same time? If you look at the 2018 waitlist movement, I doubt 8 people suddenly decided to refuse their offer overnight on May 31. 

Next potential offer…

April 18th: 5

April 30th: 6

May 9th: 9

May 17th: 10

May 18th: 12

May 23rd: 14

May 31st: 15

June 1st: 23

June 7th: 24

June 27th: 25

July 6th: 26

July 31st: 27

August 6th: 28

12 minutes ago, lifewatr said:

I don't think they release invites as seats become available so perhaps they're going to send out a bunch at the same time? If you look at the 2018 waitlist movement, I doubt 8 people suddenly decided to refuse their offer overnight on May 31. 

Yeah that's a good point. I hope that's the case! :)

A friend of mine emailed asking for updates at the end of April and apparently there was still no waitlist movement at that point. Let's hope they're accumulating now.

37 minutes ago, dumpling_ said:

how much do you guys think we can expect the IP WL to move? could it be more/less with covid...

Really hard to tell because more people tend to pursue higher education when the economy is down but I'd expect a lot of people not being able to finish their PhD/Master's programs in-time either. 

49 minutes ago, lifewatr said:

Really hard to tell because more people tend to pursue higher education when the economy is down but I'd expect a lot of people not being able to finish their PhD/Master's programs in-time either. 

Also very strange how they made 20 or so waitlist offers in the first two weeks following the first wave of offers....usually the WL goes to ~28 in August (2019 for ex.). Right now its sitting at 28 as of Mid-April

5 hours ago, champagnepapi said:

Also very strange how they made 20 or so waitlist offers in the first two weeks following the first wave of offers....usually the WL goes to ~28 in August (2019 for ex.). Right now its sitting at 28 as of Mid-April

There were 24 more seats for QC University applicants in MTL after negotiating that they should not be lost to the 24 at Outaouais. Thus, 3 students have deferred or refused the offer, making it next offer #28.

2 minutes ago, giraffe3 said:

There were 24 more seats for QC University applicants in MTL after negotiating that they should not be lost to the 24 at Outaouais. Thus, 3 students have deferred or refused the offer, making it next offer #28.

woah...was not made aware of this. Do you have a source? I remember them saying they were negotiating more spots, but I didn't know they actually negotiated for 24 more from Outaouais

On 5/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, champagnepapi said:

woah...was not made aware of this. Do you have a source? I remember them saying they were negotiating more spots, but I didn't know they actually negotiated for 24 more from Outaouais

I mean it’s the only thing that makes sense. It moved 24 spots within a few days of the initial offer. Considering this has never happened before, you can only assume that they succeeded in their negotiations.

I’m also pretty bummed that spots haven’t moved since last week’s release of decisions :( I emailed adcoms and they said they update their waitlist website as soon as it moves. So it doesn’t look like they’re accumulating anything.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:28 PM, champagnepapi said:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-expands-admissions-to-medical-schools-by-more-than-100/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1590239089

http://www.fil-information.gouv.qc.ca/Pages/Article.aspx?idArticle=2805228808

1 hour ago, giraffe3 said:

By next school year, do they mean the entering class of Fall 2020 or Fall 2021? If it's Fall 2020, that's going to be a substantial movement in the waitlist :o

11 minutes ago, verycaffeinated said:

By next school year, do they mean the entering class of Fall 2020 or Fall 2021? If it's Fall 2020, that's going to be a substantial movement in the waitlist :o

There already has been substantial movement for the QC University category because this has already taken effect (+24)