Premed 101 Forums

UWO online interviews - pre-record?

37 minutes ago, oscar123 said:

I thought it was ok....but idk, don't feel like I was able to really show who I was as a person so I don't feel great. Also, felt like I kinda rambled on because it was weird just talking to a screen 

Definitely felt that I wasnt personal enough.. also found I was rambling on than I should have. Overall, it definitely didn't feel like an interview

1 minute ago, Dread20 said:

Definitely felt that I wasnt personal enough.. also found I was rambling on than I should have. Overall, it definitely didn't feel like an interview

Yes omg. And there were so many times that my word combinations didn't really make sense and so I would awkwardly pause to try and fix what I was saying but then it just got worse lmao. It felt more like an exam tbh 

8 minutes ago, oscar123 said:

Yes omg. And there were so many times that my word combinations didn't really make sense and so I would awkwardly pause to try and fix what I was saying but then it just got worse lmao. It felt more like an exam tbh 

Glad at least one other person felt similarly about the interview. Hopefully they are understanding and dont focus too much on the small details but look at the big picture :)

29 minutes ago, maytheflossbewithyou said:

I felt like there was very little time to think given that the questions were quite complex. My answers were disorganized and I stuttered A LOT because I was trying to figure out how to put my answer eloquently while I was speaking lol

I feel the same! I think some questions were way too short to answer within the time frame. It would be different in real-life where no one cuts you off and you aren't being timed for your answers.

4 hours ago, Dread20 said:

What was everyone's thoughts and opinion?

Yeah I agree with all of you!  I felt like my answers were so disorganized and seeing the timer made it way more stressful. The questions were so complex, it felt more like an MMI interview except we only had 30 seconds to organize our thoughts lo. Very disappointed tbh. 

29 minutes ago, james_mcalloy said:

Hi all, first time post here!

I may be one of the rare exceptions to the general trend here...

I've been applying to Schulich's dental program for the last 5 years and have always been thwarted by the interview. I've never really had a problem with grades as I've pretty much learned how to devote myself 100% to my studies. But, that comes at a price: I have no social skills and have come to have crippling anxiety.

These last 3 years following my graduation from York University have been the hardest of my life and honestly felt like there was very little value for me to continue shadowing my local dental offices after I accumulated over 10000 hours. My life has been dedicated to learning how to do an interview and I have spent countless hours practicing with my best friend, as well as spending over $5000 on interview courses. I’ve drank before interviews and even mixed with high doses of clonazepam just to help me on my interviews, but the dose I would need to take just to stop feeling that sense of anxiety would literally kill me. It’s THAT bad.

Fortunately this year the interviews were online and I was able to become a person I could never be in real life. Being in front of my gaming PC and having a nice cup of caffeine-free green tea at my side really helped me cool my nerves and just made me feel at home. I was honestly able to breeze through each question as opposed to being a stuttering mess the last 5 times I attempted my interviews.

This interview may be nothing like my true self, but that doesn’t matter to me. I’m confident I got in this year and that’s all that matters.

Good luck everyone.

That's great to hear! I hope you get in! Honestly, I have very bad anxiety too, so I completely understand your point of view. This is my first time applying, so I don't have a lot of experience. But, I think this was better for me than in-person, simply because I don't know how I would've been able to control my anxiety in real-life - my voice shakes, I can't express my self properly, and I come across as very abrupt. I liked how I was able to express myself because my anxiety was controlled. I don't know if my answers were good enough compared to everyone else, which is why I'm scared. But, I definitely appreciated how I didn't have to deal with the countless panic attacks and severe anxiety as much as I would've. I really hope this year is the one for you!! And thank you for this post - it made me feel better about dealing with a similar situation 

40 minutes ago, Dread20 said:

I suppose it is different for everyone. I personally prefer person to person interview. Imo interviews are about showing interpersonal skill and I just think talking to myself on the screen is a counterintuitive.

Honestly I get it. I def see the advantages of both. I think this interview was good for my anxiety. But, it really didn't feel like an interview....I was just rambling on in front of a screen and can't really even remember what I said because there was nothing too memorable about it. It was nice not having to leave my house though lol. Hopefully it all works out though! 

12 minutes ago, patrickstar said:

Does anyone know how/when the physiology challenge exam is gonna run?

I emailed them a week before the interview and they didn't specify a date, just that they would provide us with more info as soon as they can. If anyone else has more specific info on this, please feel free to add. I think they should at least give us a week's notice before the exam, considering undergrad finals are going on, and some students may have conflicting schedules. 

On another note, the website says that April 2020 is when the acceptances are released but does anyone know a specific date? 

12 hours ago, shrekfiona12 said:

Does anyone know how much the interview counts in the final admission decisions? And when do you guys think decisions will be sent out?

I hope you are all safe and well! 

Last year decisions were sent out on April 25th.