Premed 101 Forums

MCCQEII is now $4,170

It's because residents work too few hours for too much money. I am sure they'd hike up the prices to increase their profit even if the money was coming from whacking baby seals (yes I am bitter about this exam). Gotta get that bonus somehow. If the petition is to believed, 50% of the exam being pure profit is absolutely ludicrous (aka $6 million dollars for the current iteration). Next year it will be a hefty 11 million dollars assuming costs will be the same.

So if the current purpose of the MCCQE2 is to be eligible to sit the royal college exam and get licensed, why is the petition to the MCC and not the royal college and provincial medical associations? Time is now to tell the royal college “hey listen up, we’re not writing that exam ever again. So either let us write the royal college and gain a license without it or Canada will be without graduating physicians.” Time for us to make the bold play. 

I’m pretty sure that if you check royal college policies, they accept USMLE Step 3 as a substitute for QE2. So those that are getting double hit can at least save that cost. If I had known that I would have done that back in the day. Saves an exam’s worth of stress too. 

Also doubling the price without any change in exam content/utility/format is absolutely enraging. That far exceeds inflation. What the eff people.

8 minutes ago, Confused Resident said:

Someone really needs to make it a mission to get this pointless test ended. It would take recruiting some high powered supporters, though.

Eliminating this exam would involve changes to legislation and medical licensing. Letters to the prime minister, health ministers and provincial colleges would be the next step towards garnering support for this. 

5 hours ago, MSWschnoodle said:

Eliminating this exam would involve changes to legislation and medical licensing. Letters to the prime minister, health ministers and provincial colleges would be the next step towards garnering support for this. 

Exactly. The problem is everyone hates the exam and realizes how pointless it is, but after you finish it you kind of forget about it. Not sure who put in the sustained effort needed to go through with the campaign.

14 hours ago, Confused Resident said:

Exactly. The problem is everyone hates the exam and realizes how pointless it is, but after you finish it you kind of forget about it. Not sure who put in the sustained effort needed to go through with the campaign.

Oh completely. I whined and bitched about it up until the minute I wrote the exam. After I found out I passed.... I stopped thinking about it and was not my business anymore. Its terrible, but this kind of mentality is a barrier to change and progress (and yes, I fully admit it).

4 hours ago, hopeful_med said:

Oh completely. I whined and bitched about it up until the minute I wrote the exam. After I found out I passed.... I stopped thinking about it and was not my business anymore. Its terrible, but this kind of mentality is a barrier to change and progress (and yes, I fully admit it).

Agree with this but if there is some movement to change it then I would be happy to support it absolutely. It is such a barrier to change this since it is out of sight, out of mind once you pass but this exam is truly worthless now.

41 minutes ago, polarbear89 said:

Agree with this but if there is some movement to change it then I would be happy to support it absolutely. It is such a barrier to change this since it is out of sight, out of mind once you pass but this exam is truly worthless now.

There is one, watch for it in the coming days, we're hoping for senior resident, staff, and PD support. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 3:00 AM, ZBL said:

So if the current purpose of the MCCQE2 is to be eligible to sit the royal college exam and get licensed, why is the petition to the MCC and not the royal college and provincial medical associations? Time is now to tell the royal college “hey listen up, we’re not writing that exam ever again. So either let us write the royal college and gain a license without it or Canada will be without graduating physicians.” Time for us to make the bold play. 

The MCCQE2 has nothing to do with royal college exam eligibility.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:52 AM, ChemPetE said:

I’m pretty sure that if you check royal college policies, they accept USMLE Step 3 as a substitute for QE2. So those that are getting double hit can at least save that cost. If I had known that I would have done that back in the day. Saves an exam’s worth of stress too. 

Also doubling the price without any change in exam content/utility/format is absolutely enraging. That far exceeds inflation. What the eff people.

Tried looking for this but cannot find the source. Anyone have the source?

2 hours ago, DaWiz said:

Tried looking for this but cannot find the source. Anyone have the source?

It surprised me when I applied for my frcpc exam last year, but I usually have a pretty good memory for this stuff and do recall seeing it written at least somewhere. I'm trying to find it now, but all I can find is the July 2019 document (newer than I last looked) "Policies and Procedures for Certification and Fellowship" which makes reference to USMLE and LMCC under acronym definitions, but the document no longer speaks to those at all. So it probably was there at some point, but now no longer. For that fact, I do not see anywhere on the site where they require LMCC either. So it might have come up at a certain point in the registration process that isn't public facing too. You could always drop them an email to clarify.

Addendum: I was sort of right, sort of wrong? I found the July 2017 version of the document above, and it does have text which does not exist anymore within the 'eligibility' section which describes that people who have not attended a CACMS/LCME school that they must have either LMCC or USMLE exam series to be considered for medical qualifications recognized. It's nonspecific for those that do attend LCME/CACMS schools. And the current text makes no reference to it as a requirement. Interesting.

So if you were considering it seriously, I would send them an email to ask them to clarify. Maybe it's a concsious decision and they don't need it at all anymore. Ha. Don't know what the provincial licensing bodies or CMPA require off the top of my head, though.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:40 AM, shady said:

Saw a petition about cancelling the MMCQEII which mentioned a 40% increase to MCCQEII fees. I just checked myself and this seems to be correct https://mcc.ca/examinations/examination-service-fees/

I wrote 2 years ago for ~$2500. What's with the massive fee hike?

the exam fee is not >4000. Its 2780. The admin fee is the non refundable portion of the 2780, NOT an additional fee. Thats my understanding

2 hours ago, HailmadeMode said:

the exam fee is not >4000. Its 2780. The admin fee is the non refundable portion of the 2780, NOT an additional fee. Thats my understanding

That would make sense. I really doubt they will raise the examination fees from 2780 to 4000 out of blue. Unfortunately, once you wrote the QE2, you kinda forget about it too!

On 4/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, HailmadeMode said:

Hmm that would be a good thing. Not clear on the website

EDIT: are you sure it's included? MCCQE1 has no such item underneath. Also, I've had juniors that I work with believe it's ~$4,000, but obviously can't be sure that they are right

EDIT2: there's also this gem now: " All candidates must pay a one-time, non-refundable account fee of $298 to set up a physiciansapply.ca account.". Wasn't there when I opened my account