Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

5 minutes ago, moonlitocean said:

Yes, the more highly ranked you are, the more likely you are to get first choice. Though I’m not sure how the lottery will affect campus choice this year.

I thought it was everyone gets their 1st choice. Then if there's not enough space on one campus but space in the others, they take those who's 2nd choice was the open campus and lottery pick. I remember them answering a question about this in an online meeting.

ex. If Waterloo isn't full and Hamilton is, the people that picked Waterloo 2nd get put  into a lottery

2 minutes ago, MDLD said:

One thing that is kind of odd is that they are basically saying Casper can't predict how you do on an MMI. Since if it did they could have just used the casper score.

And didn't they make casper, so this hurts them there

Plus they have an article published stating how casper has positive correlation with mmi performance

11 minutes ago, GLWL said:

Plus they have an article published stating how casper has positive correlation with mmi performance

Idk the way they do it now doesn't completely discredit this either.

Technically in order to be in the top 100 your CASPer must be pretty high so giving those offers is a good indication that CASPer can correlate with how they'd eventually do in the MMI. But the correlation is not strong enough to shift the weight to CASPer completely, hence the lottery portion. 

Just now, DrOtter said:

Idk the way they do it now doesn't completely discredit this either.

Technically in order to be in the top 100 your CASPer must be pretty high so giving those offers is a good indication that CASPer can correlate with how they'd eventually do in the MMI. But the correlation is not strong enough to shift the weight to CASPer completely, hence the lottery portion. 

Casper is only worth 33% when considering the top 100 as it is the pre interview formula. Plus people with very high cars and gpa don’t have to have stellar casper scores and still be in the top 100. The Mmi is worth 70% of the selection process. Yes the correlation is not that strong but they found it to be more correlated compared to the other standard measures, however since they used the pre interview formula casper is worth the same as the other measures, which doesn’t follow their published study.

5 minutes ago, GLWL said:

Casper is only worth 33% when considering the top 100 as it is the pre interview formula. Plus people with very high cars and gpa don’t have to have stellar casper scores and still be in the top 100. The Mmi is worth 70% of the selection process. Yes the correlation is not that strong but they found it to be more correlated compared to the other standard measures, however since they used the pre interview formula casper is worth the same as the other measures, which doesn’t follow their published study.

i guess my thinking is that they keep saying capser is a good predictor of MMI performance if it was why not use it in place of MMI. 

but i can see why they might not. but idk this to me would make people less mad. And at least the class won't all have imposter syndrome. 

3 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Still convinced button = offer now? This person sounds like top 100 to me

I don’t have the button and iv been convinced by it from the beginning. Everything we have seen so far points to it being valid. This person may not have performed that well on casper and still gotten ottawa due to the 4.0 and great ECs. Plus as it was said earlier, we don’t exactly know how ottawa use casper

4 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Based on the facts thus far, it really does seem to me that the top 100 will receive their button (and offer) on May 12th and that the current buttons are for those who were selected off the lottery. It may seem like I'm biased but I am judging this off the people who told us their stats on this thread.

Just now, HeyMrSnowman said:

Your interview is 100% of your ranking, so if your interview bin is a 3.5 or 4/4 you are given precedence over someone with higher GPA and lower bin.

Oh ok, so if interview went really well then no worries about GPA but if it wasn't within top bins, then GPA is used to rank within the bin until seats are filled?

Just now, M9V said:

Based on the facts thus far, it really does seem to me that the top 100 will receive their button (and offer) on May 12th and that the current buttons are for those who were selected off the lottery. It may seem like I'm biased but I am judging this off the people who told us their stats on this thread.

Why would make that differentiation to OMSAS is what I cant reconcile with that theory

8 minutes ago, William Osler said:

10 minutes ago, uottawaBIM said:

FWIW,

GPA: 4.00, CARS: 130, CASPer: interviewed at uOttawa, but unknown ofc

No button.

It doesn't sound like this person interviewed at Mac anyways though, I think they were just providing another stat.