Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

29 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Congratulations! How would this information help? Top 100 def all received their 1st choice so youre prob right

Thanks.

I just like to know. Closure. It helps me determine how good/bad my CASPer was. And also to be grateful for how lucky I am.

I have an offer from another Ontario school, but Queen's is my first choice, and I was waitlisted at Queen's. If I accept the offer from the other Ontario school, will I automatically get removed from the Queen's waitlist by OMSAS? I was confused by the wording of the waitlist email:

"Please note you do not need to confirm if you wish to remain on our list. If you accept an offer of admission at another school of medicine and no longer wish to be considered at Queen's, we would be grateful if you would let our office know. Please email queensmd@queensu.ca if you wish to have your name removed from the wait list."

Just now, Casablanca said:

I have an offer from another Ontario school, but Queen's is my first choice, and I was waitlisted at Queen's. If I accept the offer from the other Ontario school, will I automatically get removed from the Queen's waitlist by OMSAS? I was confused by the wording of the waitlist email:

"Please note you do not need to confirm if you wish to remain on our list. If you accept an offer of admission at another school of medicine and no longer wish to be considered at Queen's, we would be grateful if you would let our office know. Please email queensmd@queensu.ca if you wish to have your name removed from the wait list."

I'd say maybe hold off from accepting in closer to the deadline to accept. If you don't hear from them then, then maybe lock in your choice for the time being. I'm not sure how the system works but hopefully this is helpful!

3 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

Yep this exact thing happened to me. So I accepted at the time a school that wasn't my first choice (which in hindsight thank God I did). But usually waitlist offers don't come out until after the first round deadline. A" loophole" if you're free to accept an oop school. But who's to say you'll get called of Queen's waitlist, take your acceptance and run! 

2 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

I would not count on the Queens waitlist it is very small and barely moves 

12 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

does anyone know if there's any flexibility whatsoever to extend the deadline on an offer in order to wait for a waitlist spot at another school, if there are special circumstances?

Just now, HugeEuge said:

If you see an offer on OMSAS, you're in, and there is no need to email. If you don't see anything in terms of an offer, I'd also just wait it out.

I don’t see anything, and when I asked omsas live agent they said the weirdest thing ever, they said please wait, offers can still appear at any time 

1 minute ago, mcgillmdbd said:

Look up data published by AFMC. 100 people were offered and registered, 98 declined their offers (most likely accepted somewhere else). 

If that was the case, then queens probably isnt that great of a school if almost 100% of their offers are rejected

2 minutes ago, Dr.Strange said:

If that was the case, then queens probably isnt that great of a school if almost 100% of their offers are rejected

Take a look at the AFMC report. This is the case with every Med school in Ontario. Successful applicants tend to get accepted at multiple places and the waitlist moves quite a lot (least movement is for U of T, ~100 seats movement for other Ontario schools). 

2 minutes ago, Dr.Strange said:

First, you said queens has no waitlist movement and now you said that because it has a lot of movement it isn't a good school? :P 

Kingston is a smaller city (compared to Vancouver/Toronto etc) so it's away from home/big citiy life  which isn't always ideal for people. 

5 minutes ago, kingassault said:

First, you said queens has no waitlist movement and now you said that because it has a lot of movement it isn't a good school? :P 

Kingston is a smaller city (compared to Vancouver/Toronto etc) so it's away from home/big citiy life  which isn't always ideal for people. 

No I'm just countering the argument mcgillmdbd made. There is no way 100 people move off the waitlist in a school (queens) with 100 students. I'm not saying queens is a bad school im joking