Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

17 minutes ago, Dr.Strange said:

No I'm just countering the argument mcgillmdbd made. There is no way 100 people move off the waitlist in a school (queens) with 100 students. I'm not saying queens is a bad school im joking

You should know people are especially neurotic right now! :lol:

Another reason is because queens is much more expensive ($27000) compared to other schools

19 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

Oh, you mean the school with the highest match rate in Canada? Yeah, probably not that great of a school..

Also match rate is the biggest bs stat known to mankind. It doesn't mean anything because every med school in canada has about over a 90% match rate. What matters is how competetive of a specialty are people to match to. Anybody with a pulse can match to family medicine. In general people match to their home school for compettive specialties. If you want something competitive queens is not a good place because the program is very small and very very competitive for residency. Ottawa and UofT are bigger centres and you are more likely to build connections to actually get the competitive specialty you want

Been a premed lurker for years and kept track of this thread since I couldn't sleep lol. For those who got rejected or waitlisted, don't lose hope! Life is a long journey :).

I got accepted to Ottawa and Mac. Definitely taking Ottawa, I lost a lot of respect for Mac after what they did and I'm hearing a lot of bad comments coming from med students in different schools. They really shouldn't have said they're using a lottery, especially now that it's reported in the news and all over social media.

1 minute ago, Dr.Strange said:

Also match rate is the biggest bs stat known to mankind. It doesn't mean anything because every med school in canada has about over a 90% match rate. What matters is how competetive of a specialty are people to match to. Anybody with a pulse can match to family medicine. In general people match to their home school for compettive specialties. If you want something competitive queens is not a good place because the program is very small and very very competitive for residency. Ottawa and UofT are bigger centres and you are more likely to build connections to actually get the competitive specialty you want

Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions without any real data to back it up. You don't know how many students at Queens match to competitive specialties vs family med. Smaller programs also mean you have closer connections with faculty and staff, meaning better LOR for all programs, not just your own schools. There's a reason Queens has such a good reputation and why their match rate is so high.

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Queens is notorious for matching to small competitive specialties like Ophtho and Plastics...

Its literally the thing that theyre known for

It's still a big gamble, especially with the small class sizes and Kingston being such a small city. I've got a few friends in Queens and although they're overjoyed to be in med, they wished they had went elsewhere. The "family" dynamic of Queens apparently gets old pretty fast, small class sizes leads to a lot of gossip, and Kingston is lacking a lot of the fun you'd typically expect in larger cities like UofT or Ottawa.

5 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions without any real data to back it up. You don't know how many students at Queens match to competitive specialties vs family med. Smaller programs also mean you have closer connections with faculty and staff, meaning better LOR for all programs, not just your own schools. There's a reason Queens has such a good reputation and why their match rate is so high.

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019_r1_tbl3e.pdf

Queens has one of the smallest amount of residency positions in Canada. Get ready for some serious competition among your small amount of classmates because most people tend to match to their home school, just look at CPSO. Med school doesnt get any less cut throat especially in smaller settings.  

Just now, inkbat said:

why are we debating about how good of a school queen's is????? lmao 

Dr. Strange made a comment about how it must not be a good school because of the amount of waitlist movement. I didn't even apply there and know that's not true at all so I wanted to make sure false info wasn't being spread.

Large class sizes are overrrated, Id rather be close to all 100 classmates than know all 250 on an acquaintance level

2 minutes ago, FinallyAccepted23 said:

It's still a big gamble, especially with the small class sizes and Kingston being such a small city. I've got a few friends in Queens and although they're overjoyed to be in med, they wished they had went elsewhere. The "family" dynamic of Queens apparently gets old pretty fast, small class sizes leads to a lot of gossip, and Kingston is lacking a lot of the fun you'd typically expect in larger cities like UofT or Ottawa.

Maybe city wise Kingston isnt as ideal as Toronto or Ottawa as a young working professional