Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

1 minute ago, swoman said:

I can say with decent certainty that button = mac offer

- All those with buttons interviewed at Mac

- All those that did not have the button did not interview at Mac

- MD/PhD student with offer with button

I agree. The offer resets thing confirms it.

I'm so sad

To be fair, the button can exist without purpose.  It obviously only exists to respond to offers, but whether or not you see the button may be irrelevant.

The "Review and Submit Changes/Responses" Button has been there forever, for everybody, and is useless if you don't have an offer.  But its there anyway.

1 minute ago, seewhathappens said:

To be fair, the button can exist without purpose.  It obviously only exists to respond to offers, but whether or not you see the button may be irrelevant.

The "Review and Submit Changes/Responses" Button has been there forever, for everybody, and is useless if you don't have an offer.  But its there anyway.

Why do some have the button and some dont? We've a small sample but it seems pretty sensitive and specific that those that had the button interviewed at Mac and those that did not interview at Mac did not have the button

4 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

No it's not *useless* because you can withdraw choice as well changing your info on other sections of the OMSAS application. 

On 5/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, inkbat said:

i'm still rooting for you, short_stack! it's not over till it's over

On 5/7/2020 at 11:01 AM, FBCforreal said:

facts, from my recollection mac has the biggest waitlist in ontario, ~120 people come off it each year

Thank you, I'm rooting for you too inkbat.

I had a look through some of the past waitlist threads and it's pretty well agreed that Mac sends out more offers initially and at the end of the day the waitlist movement is like 60-70. Maybe less. That's still a lot compared to other schools but who knows.

My GPA is low and CARS 130. This is why I thought CASPer is the reason I got an interview and was hoping CASPer would be weighted most. :(

1 minute ago, swoman said:

It would be pretty funny/lazy of Mac to keep the pre-interview formula and admit students off of that ranking

Unlikely to be the same as someone posted earlier in the thread that their friend got off the interview waitlist and now has the button. 

Just now, DanKeith said:

Unlikely to be the same as someone posted earlier in the thread that their friend got off the interview waitlist and now has the button. 

Good call, funny to think about, I like how we're all acting as if button = mac offer now lol hopefully that is in fact true

Just now, penguin1234 said:

No button, interviewed at Mac, Ottawa, and Queen's. Honestly by looking at everyone's stats so far, I have no clue what formula Mac is using if button = offer. o.O My stats: 4.0 GPA, 129 CARS, and probably not a terrible CASPer because I interviewed at Ottawa. 

Wow that's more than one person saying now that their stats overall were good but didn't get the button.

Imagine if Mac actually started looking at ABS and references. LMAO

1 minute ago, pureblue said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they used references because now they're mostly numeric scales and we all know how much Mac loves numbers

that's true I forgot it became all numerical. However, if that's the case, I know all my references would've been 5/5 too lol

I was reading through the info for Mac on OMSAS yesterday and it does say this:

"References – Referees must submit their Confidential Reference online. Review the OMSAS instructions about references and notify your referees early. Requests for references should be sent to your referees by September 15, 2019, to allow enough time for them to submit their reference by the deadline. Your 3 confidential references are due by the application deadline; however, McMaster will accept references, submitted online via OMSAS, until December 1, 2019, at which time incomplete applications will be cancelled. It is your responsibility to request your references within sufficient time to meet these deadlines.

Autobiographical Sketch (ABS) – You must complete the ABS and provide a verifier for each entry. In some cases, the Admissions Office may wish to verify the activities you describe in the ABS."

So I guess they would be fair game but also seems like a pretty controversial decision...

Just now, ejvrei said:

I was reading through the info for Mac on OMSAS yesterday and it does say this:

"References – Referees must submit their Confidential Reference online. Review the OMSAS instructions about references and notify your referees early. Requests for references should be sent to your referees by September 15, 2019, to allow enough time for them to submit their reference by the deadline. Your 3 confidential references are due by the application deadline; however, McMaster will accept references, submitted online via OMSAS, until December 1, 2019, at which time incomplete applications will be cancelled. It is your responsibility to request your references within sufficient time to meet these deadlines.

Autobiographical Sketch (ABS) – You must complete the ABS and provide a verifier for each entry. In some cases, the Admissions Office may wish to verify the activities you describe in the ABS."

So I guess they would be fair game but also seems like a pretty controversial decision...

Wow, I guess they could eh? That would be a pretty surprising turn of events...