Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

1 minute ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

did anyone brave use SAM to inquire about their button lmao

SAM is generally not very helpful even with official things lime document tracking and whatnot. I doubt they're gonna be helpful now with this shenanigan

Just now, TheWayIAre said:

Guys and gals, PLEASE calm down. The amount of bias here is bordering on hysteric and cult-like. Nobody knows anything. Just leave it at that.

Yes there's some form of reporting bias here but I don't think there's much bias to suggest that the conclusion "button = offer" is incorrect. Like regardless of which school. So far, it seems related to Mac so we're assuming it's an offer for Mac. But button = offer applies to any school.

Just now, short_stack said:

I'm a little confused by this theory for those of us with only one interview. I was rejected pre-interview from the other 2 schools I applied to. Wouldn't that mean my file is "complete"? And if Mac has already sent in their decisions, why do I have an "incomplete" file and therefore not have the button regardless of result?

Fair point, esp considering your interview was Mac iirc. I was kinda imagining that maybe a school had to completely finish with all of their business for this cycle for it to be marked "complete" for the purpose of The Button, so even pre-interview rejection schools may not have finished sending out all of their offers to others making the profile seem incomplete, but that's a good point. I could be totally wrong haha, no way to know till Tuesday. Let's just hope it's like the old green circle fiasco and it ends up meaning nothing at all

3 minutes ago, pureblue said:

I think this makes the most sense.. how is McMaster the first one to submit responses but not uOttawa/Western/Toronto which finished their interviews over a month ago?

Honestly, i really don't understand this theory. Before today, no one had the button. Today, some people have the button. Let's say Mac was the first to send in their decisions today, and some people got the button. That person might also get an offer from another school that they interviewed at that has yet to release their decisions, so how would their file be "complete"? 

image.png.0609b4f18700c7ba49b7893b68d60412.png

^I have the button, and am definitely not getting an acceptance from an Ontario school. I was waitlisted to interview for Mac, but didn't get an interview. I think the selection bias is messing up your data because folks who were rejected pre-interview to Mac are not neurotically checking irrelevant forums like I am :P

Just now, Rusty Verdigris said:

^I have the button, and am definitely not getting an acceptance from an Ontario school. I was waitlisted to interview for Mac, but didn't get an interview. I think the selection bias is messing up your data because folks who were rejected pre-interview to Mac are not neurotically checking irrelevant forums like I am :P

Sorry, this isn't the button we are talking about.

Honestly I'm just counting on the fact that very very few people so far (who might be extraordinary cases like MD-PhD or internationals) who did not interview at Mac and are seeing the button. Like for all the stronger candidates out there interviewing at multiple schools, it's impossible that only 2 of them are accepted to any of those schools. Ergo button ~ Mac offer. 

Just now, Rusty Verdigris said:

The button refers to another one underneath the red box that says "reset responses" 

40 minutes ago, imsotired said:

but it just doesn't make sense to have the button in the first place if you don't have any offers... what offer responses would I reset if i'm given none? 

i agree with this - last year i had 3 waitlists and did not have the button despite checking omsas right until the waitlists closed - i just had the red box with "review and submit changes/responses"

i have the feeling that this button means you got an offer at some school - not necessarily just mac. 

what do i know tho? could be completely wrong. t-5 days lol 

attached the picture of the button below the red box

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.55.31 AM.png