Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

2 hours ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

Idk, a lot of my friends with multiple interviews did not have the button. Same for people on this forum without a mac interview but 3+ other Ontario interviews. It's kinda hars for me to believe that none of them received an offer from any other schools. But I am obviously biased towards the glitch side lmao

There's some people that only interviewed at Mac and got The Button 

4 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

There have been cases of people here who have lied about having the button/not, lying about their stats, etc. Some people are even making troll accounts and lying on polls. They are laughing at causing you distress. For your own good, please stop with the speculation and wait a few more days.  

Yeah I noticed on another website that someone posted saying premeds are mega neurotic because they saw Button Fiasco 2020. I can see it gaining traction and leading to trolls messing with us lmao

I and some others have decided to start a religion called Buttonism. It is a monotheistic faith and we worship the one and only Reset Responses button. PM if you would like to convert and join the movement. If you direct your faith to us, according to our scripture, you are guaranteed a place in Medical School acceptances (this is the substitute for heaven). Non-believers will be sent to the gulags.

1 minute ago, kreedz said:

I and some others have decided to start a religion called Buttonism. It is a monotheistic faith and we worship the one and only Reset Responses button. PM if you would like to convert and join the movement. If you direct your faith to us, according to our scripture, you are guaranteed a place in Medical School acceptances (this is the substitute for heaven). Non-believers will be sent to the gulags.

WHOLY F :lol::lol::lol: The gulag part sent me

4 minutes ago, kreedz said:

is this like a Jim Jones type deal where, at first we get into medical school, but afterwards you make us sign over our homes and kids and have sex with our S/O's?

11 minutes ago, FrannieLydon said:

My vote is for Buttongate

2020 so far:

Australian bushfires > COVID-19 pandemic > Kobe dies > Ukrainian plane crash in Iran > floods, volcanic eruptions, and earthquakes in some parts of the world > Buttongate 2020

Really puts it into perspective I guess. But 2020 is definitely a cursed year lol

While I agree with the sentiment about neuroticism (especially the grades-based one), I feel like at least this unique situation shouldn't be why neurotic premeds are being vilified lmao

Like yeah, NGL button fiasco originally made me truly stress out but it wasn't until more and more people started showing up with very competitive stats and no button that it seems like it's Mac-related but random within Mac interviewees, so I'm better now. We had some good memes and LOLs throughout Button Fiasco 2020 though so I don't get the hate

2 minutes ago, swoman said:

Honestly I don't see the point of this person. Sure too much neuroticism is not good but being meticulous and focused and speculative is what makes a good doctor. You become invested in your patients' condition and obsess over it and try to deduce what the underlying illness behind it all is. Having a plan is one thing. And being able to adapt to changes to that plan is another.

Having a blasé attitude is overrated. 

21 minutes ago, X Æ A-12 said:

I don't think this person intended it this way, but I do find this a bit condescending. I know for myself I currently have a decreased capacity to cope with the everyday stressors of life (let alone the stress of trying to get into med school!!) because my main hobbies that I use to manage my stress have been taken away due to covid. While I think a lot of us would always be stressed about the button thing (regardless of whether or not there was a pandemic going on), I think that most of us are used to having more things to direct our energy towards. Without those things, it's only natural we would latch on to something we can put a concerted effort into. 

I can see their point for sure, and definitely the level of neurotiscm may not be ideal, but can you really project from a premeds behaviour to how they'll be after 4 years of medical school and a 3 year ER residency or 5+ year surgical residency? That seems a bit ridiculous, especially considering many of us are very early twenties and still developing our brains. 

1 minute ago, Furosemide said:

I don't think this person intended it this way, but I do find this a bit condescending. I know for myself I currently have a decreased capacity to cope with the everyday stressors of life (let alone the stress of trying to get into med school!!) because my main hobbies that I use to manage my stress have been taken away due to covid. While I think a lot of us would always be stressed about the button thing (regardless of whether or not there was a pandemic going on), I think that most of us are used to having more things to direct our energy towards. Without those things, it's only natural we would latch on to something we can put a concerted effort into. 

I can see their point for sure, and definitely the level of neurotiscm may not be ideal, but can you really project from a premeds behaviour to how they'll be after 4 years of medical school and a 3 year ER residency or 5+ year surgical residency? That seems a bit ridiculous, especially considering many of us are very early twenties and still developing our brains. 

Agree with you on this. It also seems farfetched to assume behavior on an anonymous forum is representative of actual behavior and personality now and even more so in the next ten years. I feel like I post the dumbest, more neurotic questions on anonymous forums but would likely never ask them in real life. 

Saw this fiasco and thought I’d sign up/add my data:

Have the button, GPA 3.95, CARS 127. Interviewed at McMaster, Manitoba & Ottawa which all require Casper so I think my Casper must have been ok. If it is indicative of an offer, Casper must be weighted very high! Still not getting my hopes up. 

18 minutes ago, Furosemide said:

Unrelated to your overall point (which I 100% agree with), but an ER residency is 5 years (unless you do the 2+1 family med route) which isn't technically an ER residency.